Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Tuesday, Tuesday, Touch Your Shoe Day...random musings...


Today is my day for random postings so, without further ado, here I go...

I love when my dad emails me about my blog. It makes me feel special that he reads it, even if I am grown-up. Since we're 1300 miles apart, it makes me feel more connected to him, too. As he doesn't comment on the blog, I never know if he's read it...now I do. Thanks, Daddy!

I'm wondering if I should ask Superman for a camera for the downstairs computer so I can Skype from there, too. Kate wouldn't mind talking with me while I craft. I wonder if we should ask my dad to get one or will he really be moving before too long? Skype is free...I wonder if he knows that. I wonder do cameras come with mics?

I'm so excited that I finally got to turn off my Qwest cell phone. May I say it was very frustrating to speak with a woman in India to do it? We definitely had a communication issue: "You want to turn off your phone?" "Yes, please." "Wouldn't you like to switch over to our amazing Verizon plans that Qwest now offers?" "No, thank you, I'd like to turn off my cell phone." "You want to turn off your phone?" "Yes, I'd like to turn off my phone." and so on until I thought I'd go mad. When she finally understood that I was, in fact, turning off my cell phone, I said, "And to clarify, there is no termination fee, right?" She said, "Well, I don't think so...would you like to call back tomorrow?" "Excuse me?" "Well, I don't think there is a termination fee." "We need to be sure there is no termination fee, this is supposed to be the last day of my contract." "Well, I don't think there is a termination fee, but if you'd like to call back in a day or two." "No, thank you...if your computer says there is no termination fee, then there is no termination fee." Now, my fingers are crossed that there is, in fact, no mix-up. It was definitely one of those "who's on first?" conversations.

I'm worried about a lot of my friends and their families. So many people I know are already being affected by the job losses throughout the nation. From neighbors who've been struggling to find work to friends who are watching work dry up, to friends who are waiting to hear if they'll have jobs next year to friends who've been desperately trying to sell homes, to my son, who's trying to secure the means to finish his last year of college and head off to Japan after that to family that is having to redefine normal after a devastating loss, I'm worrying about them all. It doesn't do me a lot of good, so I try not to dwell on it. But it is always there, in the back of my mind...

I'm worried about babies I've never met, Veiyah, Stellan, and all the others who are fighting for their lives. I worry about their mothers, their fathers, and their siblings. I worry about their families and wonder how you keep a family together when everything is focused on this one little being and normal doesn't exist any more.

Finally, I wonder if my friends from So Cal understand that the sky really looks like that...that is is not a Photoshop trick...I know I never knew.

3 comments:

momstheword said...

How lovely to be so connected with your dad. I sure miss mine. Don't think he's reading my blog from heaven, lol!

I have never heard of Skype, but I'm really not techy, ya know?

That pound cake looks yummy!

Erin said...

Skype is basically video phone over the internet connection that lets you talk with someone anywhere in the world FOR FREE and with video. Kate and I use it...you can show off projects, new fabrics, paint colors, or you can just talk about nothing...

Unknown said...

We do that talking about nothing thing so well it lasts for hours. Now that's a whole lot of nothing! I know that incredible sky is one of the great things about New England as well.