Monday, March 9, 2009

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies...


So, did your house sing today? The Nagle5 household did. Unfortunately, it kept trying to sing "Working Can Wait, This is Paradise"! We had an unexpected snow storm that was beautiful, but really stopped Spring in her tracks. Superman stayed home today, as he was feeling a bit under the weather. That, combined with the lingering effect of "Spring Forward", gave us all a late start this morning and we really started off slowly. Still, the kids and I pulled it off. They liked the new schooling/chore schedule I've come up with and I feel happy that they're getting so much done on Mondays...a win-win all around. We labeled some popsicle sticks and got the holiday decorations moved out of the basement and into the garage! Unfortunately, I tweaked my back doing something I knew I shouldn't have done, so I stopped there. The pantry isn't done yet. Oh, well, progress, not perfection!

Since I'm kind of stuck on my rump, I thought I'd share one of my all-time favorite cookie recipes with you. I still remember where I got this recipe...I got it from a girl named Julie who lived in the apartments above us when Charming was 3. They moved and we didn't keep in touch, but I kept the recipe (and you'll be glad I did).

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
Cream together:
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar

Add:
2 cups flour
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla (I don't need to tell you that I use more, right?)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Stir in:
1 cup oatmeal
1 cup chocolate chips (Confession: I just throw in a few handfuls til it looks right!)
Bake at 375 for 10 minutes.

That's it...how easy is that? They are so good and so easy. They have more depth than a traditional chocolate chip cookie, but aren't overpoweringly peanut butter-y. Honestly, they are close to perfect.

11 comments:

Charming said...

*Drools*

I'm so jealous!! They look so good!

Erin said...

Oh, I'm sure campus cafeteria food is much better...

Erin said...

P.S. Besides, they were gone yesterday!

Anonymous said...

It was supposed to be 81 here today. I wouldn't know, I am now the one who is sick. #3 just had an upper respiratory infection and the antibiotics are working great. I on the other hand have a fever and headache. I think I should have seen the doctor yesterday too, but was too sick to go through the motions today. Tell Superman I sympathize. Those would have went well with my liquid tylenol. :)

momstheword said...

This is similar to a cookie recipe we have and you're right it is nummy. My home will hopefully sing tonight as I've been gone for most of the morning...sigh!

Erin said...

Gens - spring? who said spring? We are expecting sub zero (!) temperatures tonight...sheesh! Moms...progress, not perfection!

Anonymous said...

I remember your giving me this delectable cookie recipe along with the one for Irish soda bread. This also happens to be the one that you usually would so expertly whip up on the spur of the moment for me and Bob when we dropped by unannounced. Ahhh, the memories...

Melissa Henning said...

I don't know why I haven't told you this yet, but you must be psychic! For the last week and especially this day, before you posted this link, I was thinking about peanut butter, oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. I had actually gotten on the computer to find a recipe, but because of habit, I refreshed my blogger page, and saw. this. recipe. You're good lol. I'm going to make these probably tonight.

BTW the pizza dough came out wonderfully! So yummy! (Logan ate the crust and he NEVER eats the pizza crust!). I put some in the fridge, to make bread sticks with, or let Logan play with (whatever came first) but it expanded HUGE and busted out of the plastic wrap I put it in. Too funny! lol! I'm a total n00b when it comes to yeasty dough lol.

Darla said...

This is like every single ingredient in my baking cabinet. LOL!

Carol said...

YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Melissa Henning said...

I think I found a winner! thanks for all of the recipes. so much fun to go and read them over again :)