Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Heather's Amazing Tacos...


Heather, Heather, Heather is my wonderful friend who left So Cal four months before we did. While we headed to the PNW, she headed to the Midwest and traded earthquakes for Tornado Alley! Heather has the dubious distinction of being the one to introduce my toddler (Buttercup) to Baby Bottle Pops, but turnabout was fair play and I had given her baby a french fry to gnaw, so I've always considered us even. When the kids got a little older, I tried to get them to refer to her more formally, as Mrs. L. Buttercup had us all in stitches when she looked at me as if I were touched in the head and said, "That is NOT Mrs. L, that is Heather! Heather, Heather, Heather!" So, Heather she remained.

Becoming friends with Heather gave me the opportunity to be part of the lives of a huge group of amazing women - her family. Heather's family doesn't claim perfection, but you can't find a more loving bunch of women anywhere. They've managed to define family in such a way that divorce didn't diminish them, it just increased their numbers. They are truly a testimony for how it should be done and I hope they know how much I admire them. When you get Heather, you also get her mom, her little sister, her big sister, her nieces (both older and younger) and nephews, even her aunts and cousins, as well as the husbands, brothers, and boyfriends (who quickly learn that these women are unstoppable). So, to all of you, I really miss you all and am glad to still get the news, both good and bad.

You can imagine in a world of women that a lot of cooking goes on and you'd be right. These women were always whipping up this or that (in between helping me maintain my McDonald's addiction!). One dinner Heather made for us was her amazing tacos. (Now, I don't know if she knew I was afraid of my stove, but her competence in the kitchen cause me tremendous envy!) I had a craving for her tacos a few months ago and sent off an email saying, "Please, please, tell me how to make the tacos." Honestly, I figured could do it now. Imagine my surprise when I got an amazingly simple recipe that wasn't intimidating in the least. It is truly amazing how you view the world with a little accomplishment under your belt, isn't it?

Well, I made the tacos tonight and they were amazing! Superman was so happy I finally made them as he'd never forgotten how amazing they were. They are different from most tacos, but they are really, really good. Take a walk on the "wild" side...you'll like them!

Heather's Amazing Tacos...
(from Heather herself--I just put her email to me here below)

I would love to share my favorite tacos with you!

1 potato for every pound of hamburger meat. [I used ground turkey]
1 package of Lawry's taco seasoning for each pound of hamburger meat [I had Fajita Seasoning]
corn tortillas
canola oil

Pour a little bit of oil into a pot. Peel and dice the potato into small pieces. Put in pot and fry until cooked (not browned but the until the white of the potatoes are a yellowish, you don't want to make them crispy like hash browns). Put in hamburger meat and cook. Drain and then put back into pot. Add seasoning with a little bit of water and simmer. Meanwhile, take small pan and pour oil in it. When warm, put corn tortilla in and mold into a taco shell until nice and crispy. If they are really crispy they will fall apart when you take your first bite, but this is the way I LOVE them! You can make them how you love them though! Lay out on paper towels to cool and drip oil off of them.

When I make the tacos I use sour cream, sharp cheddar cheese, La Victoria Mild Green Sauce, and cut up avocado! You can put whatever you like on them though this is my suggestion! YUUUMMM, I NEED TO MAKE THESE!

Notes: We didn't have avocado (darn!) or sour cream, but we did have lettuce, cheese, and salsa.

P.S. Heather, since you shared this amazing recipe with me, I'll forgive you for how long you spent moaning about turning 26!!!! (I know, it is time I let go of it, right?)

6 comments:

American Homemaker said...

Sounds yum :) I use ground turkey instead of hamburger in my recipes too.

Anonymous said...

I think I will make this for dinner!!!

Anonymous said...

Yes, Heather and her famous taco's. We love them too. Although haven't made them in while, I think it's about time I do! Thanks for the compilment about us sisters, thru thick and thin, no matter how far apart we are (boohoo) there for each other. We all miss you too.
Her big sis, Debbie

Erin said...

Debbie, you guys really introduced me to the "world of women" and I will forever be grateful. I root for you all (including your kids and grandkids). This sound weird, but you all show how family can survive and thrive, even with divorce. P.S. Debbie - check out Staker Sensations - Shannon makes the most awesome stuff for little girls! (Buttercup is too big, darn it...Shannon, make something for my 10-year old!)

Shannon, you will love it.

American Homemaker - I have been doing this for years...I like it better. Thanks for visiting.

loveaphid said...

I want Tacos. mmmm mmmm tacos. Hey remember when I visited the first time, and you weren't pregnant with Jared? We sat on the floor creating little wantons filled with a Mexican mixture. Then we deep fried them. DO you still remember how to make them. They would be perfect for my next pot-luck or Movie night with my beloved geeks.

Clark said...

I love tacos. This is a great twist to just meat, lettuce, tomato, etc. The one thing we learned from this meal is that the potatoes need to cubed to no more than 1/2 inch square. Otherwise, it is hard to get other stuff in there.