Thursday, March 12, 2009

Sugar Doughnut Muffins


As I promised, I made Sugar Doughnut Muffins today. I found this awesome recipe to try and I've been counting down the days til Thursday. The recipe absolutely lived up to its name and I'm glad we won't have extra at home because I would eat them all myself.

This recipe originally comes from Amanda at Fake Ginger and if you haven't discovered her food blog yet, you are in for a wonderful treat. This girl makes amazing stuff and tries to keep it healthy when she can. Her post today is Chicken Piccata, another one I'm definitely going to try soon. This recipe was quick and easy. The muffins are like a light muffin or a dense cupcake--you can pick how you'd like to describe them. I think I overfilled my muffin liners because I got some seriously fluffy muffins. The original recipe does not make a huge batch which is nice if you don't want to be a pig and eat a ton of these "just because they are there". (Not that I would, you understand? I'm just saying "if".) Doubling the recipe only netted me 16 muffins. (Since I needed 15, guess who got to eat the 16th? Buttercup, Valiant, and I shared one. They're definitely not happy they can't have another one.)

Sugar Doughnut Muffins

Ingredients:

3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking power
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

1 tbsp butter, melted
1/3 cup sugar, for rolling

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a muffin tin with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, beat together sugar and egg until light in color.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
4. Pour into egg mixture and stir to combine.
5. Pour in vegetable oil, milk and vanilla extract.
6. Divide batter evenly into 12 muffin cups, filling each about 3/4 full.
7. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
8. While muffins are baking, melt butter and pour remaining sugar into a small bowl.
9. When muffins are done, lightly brush the top of each with some melted butter, remove from the pan and roll in sugar.
10. Cool on a wire rack.

Remember, I doubled the above recipe to net 16 cupcake like muffins.

Disclaimer: I thought I should remind you, while I bake all these amazing goodies on Thursdays, the treats actually go to work with Superman on Friday. We work out, but not enough to cancel out this much goodness! Did I mention I've got a loaf of whole wheat bread in the oven as I type this? I'll tell you about it later tonight...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These muffins were a big hit! Unfortunately, there were no leftovers.