Monday, March 30, 2009

Making Your Home Sing Monday...


Okay, so Monday is almost over, but I did work to make my home sing, so I'm posting better late than never! (To see what everyone else did to make their home's sing this week, head on over to Mom's The Word.)

The song my home was singing today was definitely Let the Sunshine In (without the Age of Aquarius part--remember the Fifth Dimension?). Spring has definitely sprung in Eastern Washington. This week is even Spring Break for the neighborhood schools. Did you notice I changed my title picture? Those are crocuses from my own front yard. The tulips are breaking through, as are the daffodils. The day lilies are sending shoots up, too. The koi are starting to emerge from their hibernation and the snow is almost completely gone. The cats are constantly at the door, wanting to go out...even the birds are hoping they can spend time on the porch now that the weather's warmed up. Sunshine is definitely the word of the day!

To help encourage spring, I've washed all the mittens and gloves and taken down my mitten holder. The sleds are put away, the skis are headed downstairs to be put away for the duration (not that we skied much). Winter coats and boots are getting cleaned and stored. Plastic is gradually coming off the windows and the extra winter bedding is going away. Superman has already been working out in the yard, cleaning up the debris that 90+ inches of snow can hide and making certain our plants can spring forth.

This week the curtain panels will get a spin through the dryer to get the dust off. The flower seeds will get planted for an indoor head start. The porch will be swept off and the spring flag hung up. The outdoor chairs that Superman made for me last year will get a coat of paste wax to undo a little of the winter's wear and tear. (This year they're going to get bright cushions, too!) I think the clothes line might even come out of storage this week. The kids are getting their bikes and skates and scooters out and the basketball hoop in the cul de sac has been seeing some serious action. Truly, the whole house is emerging from a long winter's nap.

So, here at the Nagle household, we're joyfully welcoming Spring with open arms. Our spirits are lifted as the grey sky has given way to blue and the brown is giving way, once again, to green. We are definitely singing Let the Sunshine In...

7 comments:

More Than Words said...

Hi there! I remember The Age Of Aquarius! Reminds me of parents when I was growing up!!

Anywho..the weather here in CA has been absolutely beautiful too and our kids enjoy being outdoors!!

Thank you for the tip and comment on my blog!! I really do want to get away from the processed foods!! But, I know I have to do that slowly....but surely!

momstheword said...

I love how you're really packing away winter and breaking out the spring! BTW, I used to love that song. We had snow the other night but it was really wet and didn't stay. Still funny to see it on my porch steps!

I'm glad you're joining us today!

Erin said...

Alicia, I miss the So Cal weather...sigh...we think hitting the high 40s is warming up!

Moms, sorry I was so tardy!

Unknown said...

The high 40's is absolutely balmy! Spring is coming for sure. I planted my seeds last week and they are sprouting away. This weekend the garden has to go in. I need to get Fig to change the storm windows out. This house needs fresh air.
Love the crocuses, so pretty and a sure fired sign of spring.

JoyceMarie said...

Thanks for visiting me...your crocuses are beautiful. Can't sunshine work wonders for us? Your week sounds action packed but you are definitely making it sing!

God bless,
JoyceMarie
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/patchwork

Jena (Organizing Mommy) said...

Yes, it IS time for spring! Thanks for visiting me. I have purposely decided not to exercise in the morning. I go to the gym and actually teach pilates. So when I'm there, I exercise. When I'm at home? well.. I"m still working that one out.

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

I can't wait until we officially have spring. We had some crazy snow and ice this past weekend. Ugh! LOL! Great job on getting ready for spring!!