Saturday, March 28, 2009

Another Game Night treat, another recipe for you...


Can you believe how quickly some weeks fly by? It seems like just yesterday I was making these cookies for Game Night, but it was actually a whole week ago.

I decided to try something new tonight. Bananas and Cream bundt cake with Brown Butter Glaze. I found this awesome recipe at Bunny's Warm Oven here. (I'm going to try the cinnamon-rubbed chicken she adapted from a Cat Cora recipe, too, but the dessert was a "right now" urge!) If you're like me, you can always use good recipes to make use of your over-ripe bananas, so you should add this one to your list. It was so quick and easy. Bunny adapted the recipe for the cake from Taste of Home and she added the glaze from Recipezaar. I had never browned butter intentionally before, but the even glaze was a piece of cake.

Bananas and Cream Bundt Cake with Brown Butter Glaze

Taste Of Home

Ingredients:

1/3 cup shortening
1-1/4 cups white sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/4 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
3/4 cup chopped walnuts


Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a bundt pan and set aside.

In a large bowl, cream the shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Add bananas and mix well.

Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, stirring just until combined. Stir in walnuts.

Pour into a greased and floured bundt pan.

Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.

Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar. [I used the glaze instead, but I didn't do it as artfully as Bunny...I think that takes practice.]

Yield: 12-16 servings.

Brown Butter Glaze
RecipeZaar

For Glaze
1/2 cup butter
3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 tablespoons milk


For glaze:
In a medium bowl, add powdered sugar and set aside.
Place butter in a small saucepan. Melt butter over medium heat until bubbly. Cook, stirring occasionally until golden brown. [I just kept stirring and stirring...I was afraid I'd burn it.]
Remove from heat and pour butter into the bowl of powdered sugar. Add milk and vanilla, stir until smooth.

So, this makes an amazing banana cake (like a fluffier banana bread, if that makes sense). I think I used too much glaze, but the kids liked it just like it was (of course). Superman and I think the next time I make it, I'll leave the glaze off and let it become my go-to recipe for banana bread...it is that good!

2 comments:

momstheword said...

Sounds yummy. Now you have me wishing I had some overripe bananas instead of some green ones.

Erin said...

It was unanimously approved...frosting people liked it with the glaze, too. Definitely keep it in mind for those over-ripened bananas.