Saturday, March 28, 2009

Chicken and Tomato Casserole


As the weather has begun to warm, I've been ready for lighter fare. One of my favorite quick and easy casseroles is Chicken and Tomato Casserole. I'm sure others have made something like this, but I made it up in desperation one day. When you're at a loss, give it a try.

Erin's Chicken and Tomato Casserole

Two Chicken Breasts - cooked and diced...I cook mine in a little olive oil with salt, pepper, basil and garlic.
Two Cans of Diced Tomatoes (or Italian Stewed Tomatoes) including juice.
2 cups Green Vegetables (fresh spinach, frozen spinach, broccoli florets, zucchini)
1 Cup Grated Mozzarella Cheese
16 oz cooked pasta of your choice--I like penne or farfalle--something that tosses nicely.

Toss everything together in a big bowl and put in a 9 x 13 pan and top with more grated cheese (a combination of grated fresh parmesan and mozarella is really good, but use whatever you have).

Bake at 350 to 375 until hot and bubbly. (Cover with foil until the last ten minutes, then remove foil to brown cheese.)

Serve with warm bread (crusty French or a hearty multi-grain is good!) and butter.

Notes: The vegetable and cheese quantities are approximate. I use whatever I feel like that day. If I want a cheesy casserole, I add more cheese. If I am wanting more vegetables, I might add both spinach and zucchini. It is all really to taste.

3 comments:

momstheword said...

It looks very yummy! You are so creative!

I like your hair. I cut my hair into a short bob after our second was born, but then I grew it out again. Then cut it again.

I love the way it is now and it's alot more "stylish" than the standard ponytail I used to wear!

Erin said...

Moms, thanks...my picture has my hair 6 months ago...the bangs are the same, but the rest is longer...I probably won't cut it again til after summer.

Mary Freaking Poppins said...

Yum! I'll try it! Thanks for all of your kinds words! Have a great week!