Thursday, July 30, 2009

So, You Think It Is Hot Where You Are?

Nan at Momstheword, LoveAphid at 365 Things You Didn't Know, and I have all been whining about how hot it has been in our neck(s) of the woods these days. The weather has been odd this summer, that is a certainty. Nan's dealing with upper 90s and 100s and Seattle humidity, I'm dealing with upper 90s and atypical humidity--30%? We're the "desert side" of the state!, and LoveAphid is dealing with 80s and 90s with 80-90% humidity. Superman just forwarded me this photo which I suspect will put each of us firmly in our places. It was sent by a co-worker whose reserve unit was activated and sent over to Iraq. I don't know said co-workers name, but I do know the picture is less than one week old. Look at the thermometer behind his head: It says 140 degrees Farenheit!


So, girls, what do you think? I think I'm doing just fine these days. Seriously, I can't begin to understand how one copes with 140 degrees. That is just crazy.

9 comments:

Tootsie said...

wow...that is hot!

momstheword said...

As I am wiping the sweat away from my forehead I must admit that I hadn't really thought about that. Thank you for humbling me, my friend.

I suppose it's like complaining about a headache or 24 hour flu when someone is throwing up due to chemo or in horrible pain.

No matter what we're going thru, there is always someone worse off isn't there.

Frankly, I don't know how they survive it either. I get physically ill when I have to much heat!

Unknown said...

Ya´ll need to come over to Asturias! we get nice moderately warm days with cool evenings. I would melt in over 100 degree weather. LOL

More Than Words said...

I know I sound so dramatic, but I would die!

Erin said...

Nan, I'm right there with you...there is a reason I didn't chose AZ when we were leaving So Cal. This is crazy and I wasn't trying to make you feel badly, I was trying to make you smile.

Alicia, that is EXACTLY what I said when Superman showed me the picture the first time.

Unknown said...

Yeah but its a dry heat. LOL!

Don't you slow cook things at 140 degrees? Ugh. That is too awful to even contemplate.

Pilar said...

yeah, I pass you ladies here where I am, but not him, Praise the Lord!

Melissa Henning said...

holy cow that's hot! Its all about relativity though...if you aren't used to 100+ degrees...not that this guy is, that's ridiculously hot!--how come he's not sweating! lol i sweat just looking at that pic lol. Anyway, I think you have a reason to gripe, especially if it is unusual weather for that area. What you guys are going through is nutty. The humidity would kill me! That being said I am going to totally contradict myself. I live in Vegas and grew up here (lived here for about 7 years so maybe not "grew up") and I complain about our 108-113 daily junk here lol. Thank goodness that it IS dry heat here (a lot of locals complain about 3-5% humidity lol)! Amen to that!

Erin said...

I guess it is universal...we all agree 140 is TOO hot for words...