Thursday, July 9, 2009

A kind word...

Last week, right in between the Great Furniture Stampede and preparing for my dad to arrive, sweet Lorrie at My Spot on the Shore gave me an award. I was so touched, but I don't think I did an adequate job of letting her know because I was, well, frazzled. Frankly, I was stunned that she even knew who I was. (I know she follows me, but you know what I mean!) Lorrie is Mom to boys...only boys. I wonder if that is why her blog is so terrific. Why would I ask that? Well, you just don't have some of the chatty conversations with boys/men that you do with women and Lorrie poses some really thoughtful questions in some of her blog posts. In between making my brain hurt with tough questions about faith, friendship, and life, she reminds me of life in So Cal, she shares her life of strong family ties going back generation combined with new challenges and the ever-changing world we all live in. So, imagine my surprise when someone I'm enjoying getting to know so much gave me an award? So, Lorrie, thanks...I would love to sit at the beach and chat with you for hours. (It really did mean a lot, even if it took me a while to get back online!)


"This award is bestowed on blogs whose aim is to find and be friends. They are not interested in self-aggrandizement and are real. Our hope is that when the ribbons on these prizes are cut, even more friendships are made... "

So, what blogs do I think are following that credo (besides Lorrie's, I mean)?

First off, let me introduce you to DarcyLee at In This Season. DarcyLee just became a grandma for the first time to a beautiful baby girl born last week! She is so generous sharing hints and tidbits about life with older kids (which is what I now have!), as well as always willing to lend an off-blog shoulder or ear when I need one. DarcyLee is definitely someone I'd be calling to have lunch with, if only we weren't thousands of miles apart. So, go say "hi" to my friend DarcyLee and congratulate her on her brand-new granddaughter.

Next, I'd encourage you to head over to see Andrea at the Train to Crazy. Andrea mixes crafting and parenting of young girls with thoughts on the world even as she and her family are in the midst of relocating. She's also just begun a new blog called Hatch (from which I borrowed a buttermilk pancake recipe that my family said was better (!) than the recipe I've been using for years!). As I understand it, Hatch is all about making things: food, clothes, anything. So far, so good.

Alicia at Confessions of a Snowflake is one of those bloggers who sneaks up on you. She's quiet and hangs back, but I love her blog. She fills it with honest reflection, even during struggles, and I feel like you could tell her anything and she'd listen. She writes about her faith and life's journey and, frankly, I just like her.

And, for those of us who love to see what others are doing in their homes, I think you should head on over to Tootsie's and Lil' Sista's houses so that you, too, can wonder if these girls ever, ever sleep. They always have such terrific ideas for things to do around the house and Tootsie's garden is to die for. Even better? They share the how-tos!

Finally, I have to mention Alicia at More than Words. She's the blogger who has given us Friday Photo Flashback, but that is not why I'm mentioning her. Actually, her blog is some warm and friendly, I imagine she's the woman whose door is always open. I picture her life full of bustle and energy, but never too busy for a friend.

8 comments:

Andrea said...

Congradulations!!

Tootsie said...

girl...I can't believe you thought of me!!! Oh...and Lilsista....is a total nut...seriously...she is going to flip when she sees this!! You are such a great friend...I am so privelaged to receive this award!! I am going to put it in my award blog right now!!!
thanks so much.
You know...I wish I had a red carpet and a fancy dress on right now...I feel like a movie star!
have a great week! (weekend-whatever!)

DarcyLee said...

Erin,
Thank you so much for this award. I'm so glad we found each other on this big world wide web!
Have a great day, my friend.

Amelia said...

You are toooooooooo.... sweet lady!!! :0) I'm just beside myself with excitement over this!!! It is my very first one since I started blogging in May this year and I couldn't be tickled any pinker than I am right at this moment.... THANK YOU!!! Infinite smiles! :0)......

momstheword said...

Congrats on your award. That's the cool thing about blogging, all the friends that you make! Who knew?

To bad we all don't live closer to one another.

I love your background, very bright and fun!

More Than Words said...

Erin!!! Thank you so much!! LOL..you totally described me!!! I always wondered if people can get an idea of "who I am" through my blog!!!!!

I'm so glad I met you here in blogland!!! It's amazing how it brings people together from all different walks of life!!

Erin said...

Man, I love blogging and the people I meet as a result!

Alicia The Snowflake said...

Congrats! Who knew blogging would have so many perks and you would get to meet such great people?!?! Thanks for thinking of me & the kind words. I like you too :)