Monday, July 6, 2009

MYHSM - Visitor Edition


It is that time again, the time where Nan asks us to stop for a minute and think about the attitude and decisions we make in the running of our homes. It is the time to make sure we're living diliberately and making decisions that support the path we say we have consciously chosen, rather than just going through the motions. Really, that is what she wants us to do, don't you think?

Mondays following a 3-day weekend tend to be back-to-the-grindstone kinds of days, but not for us this Monday, for my dad and step-mom are still with us. I'm posting a bit late because we just got back from lunch in Coeur d'Alene. (We went to Las Palmitas - really good Mexican food!) Now I have a birthday cake in the oven for Grandpa John (early celebration heading his way) and we're heading out again as soon as it comes out of the oven.

So, Making Your Home Sing Monday for me is all about keeping the flow of things going smoothly. Despite having visitors, laundry still has to get done, doctor appointments still need to be kept, dishes still have to be done, meals need to be prepared and served, even exercise needs to happen...in short: Life Still Goes On.

Nan at Momstheword often reminds us that attitude is everything in the running of our homes and I've finally learned to keep a calm attitude throughout all the havoc wreaked by visitors. I love having guests and I don't want them to ever feel they're inconveniencing me. It took me a while to learn how to deal with the inevitable disruptions, but I think I'm getting better and better each time. We all know that when Mom gets stressed, it shows up in kid behavior and, so far, the kids are just being the kids. No extra bickering, no battles. Just normal stuff. So, for this week, Making Your Home Sing in the Nagle house has us all singing Take It Easy.

Head over to Momstheword to see what everyone else is doing...you'll be inspired.

P.S. Gotta go...cat just vomitted on the couch and I have 5 minutes before I need to head out again! Life is good

5 comments:

Andrea said...

Keeping calm is worth the effort...it keeps our homes peaceful.
Blessings and prayers, andrea

momstheword said...

oh my goodness? Your cat threw up? Figures that it was right before you had to leave. It's never when it's convenient is it, lol! Of course, vomit is never convenient.

Great post. It is hard to have our routines interrupted by visiting friends or family. But I love how you wanted to make them feel welcome and not an interruption!

Thank you for joining us today and glad you're have a great time with the folks!

More Than Words said...

You're right...life does still go on even w/ visitors! I always feel like life gets put on hold and then I have tons to catch up after!

momstheword said...

Fortunately my hubby remembered to bring the camera. I'm glad he did as it gave me a whole blog post, not to mention some fun pictures.

DarcyLee said...

I, too, have had to learn how to relax and just enjoy guests in my home. My problem is that I'm such a perfectionist that I have to do everything myself and I stress a little (alot!). Great post. Enjoy your guests.