Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Pumpkin Swirl Cheesecake

Pumpkin Swirl Cheesecake...doesn't that sound fabulous. I saw this recipe on Tasty Kitchen, the new recipe blog started by Ree Drummond aka The Pioneer Woman. It was posted by Cheryl at Cooking, Dunkin Style. If you haven't found Cheryl's blog, you've missed a great cooking blog and I urge you to head over and take a look.

Anyway, today is Friday Delight on Thursday and I sent Superman off with two Pumpkin Swirl Cheesecakes. I didn't taste them, but they looked amazing (and the batter was fabulous, too). This recipe is really quite easy and the pumpkin makes it perfect for fall, don't you think?


Pumpkin Swirl Cheesecake
from Cheryl at Cooking, Dunkin Style

Ingredients:
· Crust (see Notes below): (I used two graham cracker crusts.)
· 2 cups finely crushed ginger snaps cookies
· 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
· 6 Tbsp butter or margarine, melted

· Filling:
· 3 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
· 1 cup sugar, divided use (I used extra fine sugar)
· 1 tsp vanilla
· 3 large eggs at room temperature
· 1 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix) OR 1 cup cooked mashed pumpkin
· 1 tsp ground cinnamon
· 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
· 1/8 tsp ground cloves

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. (300 degrees F. for a dark springform pan) and position the oven rack in the center of the oven.

For the Crust (see Notes below):
Mix ginger snap crumbs, pecans and butter; press onto bottom and 2 inches up side of 9-inch springform pan.

For the Cheesecake Filling:
Using an electric mixer on medium speed, combine cream cheese, 3/4 cup of the sugar, and the vanilla until well blended. On low speed, add eggs one at a time, mixing each time just until blended.

Remove 1-1/2 cups of the plain batter and set aside.

To the remaining plain batter, add remaining 1/4 cup sugar, pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Using a large spoon, stir to combine.
Pour 1/2 of pumpkin batter over crust in springform pan. Spoon 1/2 of plain batter over pumpkin layer. Repeat until all batter is used.

Using a long butter knife, gently swirl through all layers of cheesecake batter without disturbing crust to achieve a marbled effect.

Bake for 55 minutes or until center is almost set. Do not overbake. Use a thin knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the crust.
Cool completely on wire rack.

Remove outer pan and refrigerate at least 4 hours, preferably overnight, before serving.

Notes for Optional Pie Crust: If you don't want to bother with a springform pan, purchase or make two small or one 10-inch oversize graham cracker or gingersnap pie crust shells. Skip the crust part of this recipe above and proceed to the fillings. Divide both fillings equally between the small pie crust shells or use same instructions for large crust and swirl. Bake at 325 degrees F for about 40 minutes for the small crusts and 45 to 50 minutes for the large.

8 comments:

More Than Words said...

Oh my gosh, cheesecake in any flavor is my weakness!!!!!

I bet that was yummylicious!

Debbie said...

Pumpkin + Cream Cheese = HEAVEN! Oh - this looks amazing! I will have to try this. I have a can of pumpkin in my pantry screaming to be used, too!!!

Andrea said...

Yummy!

blessings, andrea

Abatevintage said...

Erin that looks so yummy, it turned out wonderfully.

Blessings,
Heidi

Erin said...

Feedback from Superman's people said it was wonderful...now I'll need to make another one so I can try it myself!

Unknown said...

Mmmmmmm Pumpkin Swirl Cheese Cake...

Tootsie said...

anything made with pumpkin is a weakness for me! I was supposed to bring pumpkin pie one year to my MIL's house for dinner...ended up having to buy one on the way to the dinner...as I ate three the week prior just trying to keep one in the house to take! lol

Clark said...

This was absolutely fabulous! The only downside was that the cheesecake wasn't super cold. I like cheesecake to be almost frozen. Wierd? Yes, I know.