Thursday, October 1, 2009

Autumn = Pumpkins and Pumpkins= Terrific Baked Goods

You know it and I know it. Autumn = pumpkins. The second we feel that first nip in the air, I'm ready to bake pumpkin-filled goodies. Last week I made these Harvest Pumpkin Brownies and this week I had the other half of the can of pumpkin to use. (Those big cans from Costco make me bake more stuff...I can't let the pumpkin go to waste!) Well, Jamie at My Baking Addiction came through for me with this awesome recipe for Pumpkin Spice Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting.


These cookies are seriously good. (They are so good that I sent some to Superman's work even though it wasn't meeting day. Wasn't that kind of me?) There was nothing I didn't like about this recipe. They were fantastic. In fact, if you make the Harvest Pumpkin Brownies from last week, I urge you to use the Cream Cheese Frosting from this recipe. (I had some of the frosting from the brownie recipe left, too...you can see the difference in the pictures...the little cookies with sprinkles are with the first recipe (which, I think, was just "not quite right") and the cookies with luscious looking frosting are with the second recipe.) It is a much better cream cheese frosting recipe.

So, what are you waiting for? The air to get even colder? Go ahead an try these. Not only will you love the way they taste, you'll love the way they make your house smell!

Pumpkin Cookies with Cream Cheese Icing
from My Baking Addiction
Yield: 24 Cookies (Um, only if they're HUGE)

Ingredients
1 cup butter flavored shortening
1 cup unsalted butter; softened
2 cups white sugar
2 cups canned pumpkin (solid; not pie mix)
2 eggs
2 teaspoons baking soda
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
4 cups all-purpose flour (I split mine: 2 cups all-purpose/2 cups whole-wheat)
2 tablespoons ground flax seeds (Optional: I've been adding this to some of my baked goods)

Directions
1. Cream shortening, butter, white sugar and pumpkin. Add eggs and mix well.

2. Sift together the baking soda, ground cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg, salt and flour. Add to pumpkin mixture and mix well.

3. Drop from spoon to cookie sheet. (In order to get only 24 cookies from this recipe, Jamie used a 1/4 cup scooper. As for me, I tried it both ways. I liked the smaller cookies used my medium scooper from Pampered Chef for those.) Bake 13-15 minutes (the smaller cookies take less time...look at them at 10 minutes) at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Cream Cheese Icing

Ingredients
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons butter, softened
4 cups confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (extract will also work)
2 tablespoons milk

Method
Mix the cream cheese with the butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla extract, and milk in a bowl. Heat in a microwave for 15 seconds. Drizzle spoonfuls over the cooled cookies and smooth with the back of a spoon or a spatula.

These cookies were awesome. Please remember the flax seed is my own addition and it isn't necessary. I've been adding some ground flax seed to my baked goods to get a bit more fiber into our diet. Obviously, you don't have to do the same. As I wrote above, I liked the smaller version of the cookies, so if you make smaller cookies, you'll get a lot more than 24 cookies out of this recipe. Also, the frosting doesn't harden, so you can't stack the cookies to store them.

Happy baking!

4 comments:

More Than Words said...

Erin, I can imagine how much your husbands co-workers love you! I bet they look forward to all the goodies you give them!

Collette@Jesuslovesmums said...

These look scrummy! You are such a good baker!
Love Collette xxxx

Lorrie said...

I can't wait to try these with my little one...he's so excited about October....Have a great weekend...and thanks for the words of wisdom when you comment...they are so appreciated!

Tootsie said...

I just ate a pumpkin pie all by myself...I am the only one here that likes it....and I have zero self control.....can you imagine what would happen if these were in my kitchen!!!!!
oh my growing a$$! lol