Saturday, October 3, 2009

Hey, Superman...

This is my birthday month, as you know, and I thought I'd give you a few hints for things I might like. Don't get me wrong. You take wonderful care of me and the kids all year long and I am truly blessed in every way. But, my birthday is coming up and you always say that you don't know what to get me and after 21 years together, I've decided to not just give you hints but actually give you real suggestions. So, if you feel like you want to buy me a present, I don't want you to flounder around looking for ideas. (Conveniently, Christmas is also right around the corner, so you can carry this list over, okay?)


Syl at Live, Smile, Run just concluded a 30 Day Shred Challenge which I missed (okay, I didn't even know about it until I started reading about people suffering through it and thought, "Hey, that sounds fun!"), but...she's starting another one November 15 - December 15 to help us all get through the holiday eating season in a positive manner. Doesn't that sound super fun? The only problem? I don't have Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred DVD, so I can't participate. (See how easy this is? Real Suggestion #1: Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shread DVD)


As you got to enjoy last week, I'm finally branching out when it comes to making bread and am bravely trying recipes that don't include steps like "add ingredients to your breadmaker in the ordered suggested by the manufacturer" and "then just use the dough setting on your breadmaker". I know you'd really like me to make Baguettes, Sour Dough, and other terrific stuff and the bloggers who tend to do these things all swear by The Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread by Peter Reinhart. Oh, I'll still need the blogger's for their tips and experience, but apparently, making bread will be much easier for me if I have this kitchen staple. (Real Suggestions #2: The Bread Baker's Apprentice)

Speaking of food, you know that I've been slowly moving our family to a healthier way of eating over the past few years. (Remember the split I forced between you and your Betty "Mrs. Butterworths"? What about making you dump Jif for real peanut butter?) Anyway, I check this book, Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon, out at the library and it is just too meaty to process in the month they give you. (I know 30 days is a lot for one book, but still, there is a lot to digest). I'd love to learn more about grains and fats and grass-fed cows, etc., even if I don't plan to adhere to all of it. I promise I'll still make you fattening baked goods. I just want to continue to learn more and more about the food we eat. (Real Suggestion #3: Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon)

Oh, yeah, and just in case you wondered who I am and what happened your wife: I thought I could be a grown-up and suck it up, but now that I've gone a full winter without my seat heater, I must admit the truth. I am a baby, a big giant baby who truly and sincerely misses her seat heater. (And it really isn't helping that Buttercup slips into the passenger seat and grins at me as she says, "Oh, Mommy, I love MY seat heater. Don't you wish you had one, too?" So, if you wanted to, you could get me a seat heater for my car. I know it wouldn't be integrated like my other one, but it also wouldn't cost $1300 like the dealer wanted you to give him to get me a new seat. Look at this one. It is genuine faux leather! Pretty cool, isn't it? (Real Suggestion #4: A Seat Heater for my car.)



For all you young brides out there who think that none of the things I have asked for are romantic, I have to respectfully disagree. There is nothing more romantic than getting a gift you truly want, you'll truly use, and understanding that your husband got it for you. A marriage is not made by grand gestures, but instead, it is made up of all the little things you do for each other each and every day. That, my dears, is truly a romantic life. (Did I mention that Superman and I will be celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary this December? That was the voice of experience sharing that bit of advice!)

10 comments:

Melissa Henning said...

I just might join that challenge with you :). Don't know how I will fit it in with work, but I guess we make time for the things we want to make time for :)

Tootsie said...

are ya there superman? it doesn't get any easier than actual suggestions instead of hints! lol

Anonymous said...

Who needs romance. Give me what I want. Romance is for teenagers and vampires. LOL Hubby knows the way to keep me happy is to give me what I want, so each year, we set a budget, and we each buy what we want, wrap it, put it under the tree. Now that we are getting older, it's really fun because on Christmas, we are totally surprised at what the other person has gotten us. Now that's romance!

Unknown said...

Great hints, Erin! or suggestions! Hope you get them all! ;) as is possible that is.

I got my 30 day shred for $7 I think on Amazon. I also got two other´s of her dvds and they are great!! Metablolism boost Fat Burn and Trouble Zones. they are both 40 min workouts.

I didn´t know people were actually doing this 30 day shred as a challenge on their blogs. How´d you found that out? I personally lost 5 in. all around on the shred in a months time. Only lost 2 lbs but I had already lost 25 before I started it.

Now I have lost another two inches in my lower half in the last 3 wks doing her other dvds and hightly recommend them as a next step. It´s just a great feeling to know you are staying healthy. (not wanting to get compulsive here but just working at it little at a time.)

Happy birthday a little early!

DarcyLee said...

I always miss my seat heater if I'm in my husband's car. It's amazing what you get used to, isn't it? I always try to give my husband definite suggestions when it comes to gifts, too, including the best place to buy them, thereby making it as easy for him as possible (He likes easy.). Happy Birthday early!

More Than Words said...

I think that that is very wise to give him suggestions. This way, you'll be sure to get what you want, and it makes it so much easier for him!! It's a win win situation!!

My youngest daughters bday is on the 31st!!

Beth in NC said...

Ha! Well, if he misses these "hints" he deserves a big ol' chunk of coal in this stocking this Christmas. :o)

Unknown said...

I have to say nothing say romance like a warm butt!

For years I would tell Fig that all I wanted for Christmas and or my Birthday was a good set of Kitchen knives. YEARS! Finally one year he was at a loss and gave in. Best Christmas present ever, and he reaps the benefits as well, I'm a much better cook with them. Don;t know why it took him so long.

Unknown said...

Talk to me on November 1st. I'll know better if I have it in me to join the 30 Day Shred. It is tempting to say I'll do it, but then again...

Andrea @ The Train to Crazy said...

The 30 Day Shred is awesome. I love it. Though, I've never actually been able to stick to it for a full 30 days! Definitely should get back on that though!

I've been eying those books as well. You'll have to let us know if you get them and what you think!