Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The last of the garden crop...

has yielded lots of green tomatoes (they'll ripen in paper bags), a few zucchinis, and one more little pumpkin. By the end of this coming weekend, the plants will be pulled up and the compost will be laid in preparation for winter and next spring's planting season.


In the meantime, I have one more recipe that uses summer's bounty. This Chocolate Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cake is to die for, seriously. I have to tell you, Superman was not happy to hear that he was getting a cake that had zucchini in it. Truly. He thought it was going to be awful and he tried the first piece under duress. (What? You thought he'd willingly eat cake with zucchini in it? Oh, please!) And what about the kids? Yep, you guessed it. They were right there with Superman. So, imagine their surprise when they all LOVED it. Seriously loved it.

So, where did this amazing recipe come from? I found it the same place I found the one-hour bread recipe. Yep, La Fuji Mama came up with another winner. How often do you get to eat your cake and your vegetables, too?

If you've got a little bit of zucchini left, give this recipe a try. I promise you'll be thrilled you did.

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cake
Sourced from La Fuji Mama who adapted it from Allrecipes.com
Makes 1 standard size bundt cake

6 Tbsp. cocoa
2 Tbsp. butter, softened
2 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups grated zucchini, packed
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon (I left these out...we just don't like cinnamon with chocolate)
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly grease bundt pan.

2. In a large bowl, combine cocoa, butter, and sugar. Add eggs, oil, grated zucchini, and vanilla; beat well. Stir in the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. (Remember, I left the cinnamon out.) 3. Place chocolate chips in sifter and toss with a bit of flour (sifting off the excess) (this is to help your chocolate chips from all sinking to the bottom of the cake batter once your cake is in the oven).

4. Fold in the chocolate chips. Pour batter into prepared bundt pan.

5. Bake in preheated oven for about 70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of cake comes out clean.

6. Let cool for several minutes, then unmold cake onto cake plate to finish cooling.


See what I mean? This cake is gorgeous. Seriously, what is not to like? I ate it all by itself, but the rest of the family added vanilla ice cream to their servings. Either way, listen to Superman, Valiant, and Buttercup and make this cake...you'll be glad you did!

5 comments:

More Than Words said...

Your house must smell good all the time!!!

I love zucchini bread, and I would even more w/ chocolate in it!

Melissa Henning said...

I agree with Alicia. I bet your house smells good all the time!

I have never eaten zucchini bread, because bread with zucchini in it, doesn't sound appetizing. That being said, I am SO going to try this, just because of the stigma, and your family's reactions. I trust your all of your taste buds, because well, they match mine from all that I have discovered through your blog :).

I like that you said "packed" zucchini. I'm sure I add too much to things, or not enough because I either packed it or didn't, cause it wasn't specified. I probably won't use cinnamon either, just because you didn't, and it was a success!

The best part about it is that my brain is telling me it's ok for me to eat it because there is a vegetable in it. lmao (what does a girl gotta do to get her hands on some chocolate?!? add a veggie!)

Collette@Jesuslovesmums said...

This sounds amazing! Is Zucchini courgette here in the UK?
Love Collette xxx

Erin said...

Collette - yes, they are exactly the same thing. Apparently they are called "courgettes" in the UK and "zucchinis" in US and Italy. Thanks for teaching me something knew today!

Tootsie said...

girl...this is gorgeous!!! Looks yummy too!