Friday, October 16, 2009

Fertilizer Friday

It is Fertilizer Friday, but I've got nothing to fertilize. Instead, I thought I'd show you some of the Fall projects we've had going on the past few weeks. Aren't you curious?


The garden is gone. A few nights that dipped into the teens took care of that. Sprinklers are blown, hoses are put away, lawns have been winterized, and perennials have been cut back for the long winter's nap. Frankly, the yard looks barren and it is difficult to get used to after spending 42 years in So Cal where the difference between perennial and annual was never quite clear to me.

Now we're focusing on next year. We've really wanted a greenhouse, but it just wasn't in our debt-reduction budget. Then we saw this post about a $50 Greenhouse and Superman was up to the challenge. Ours ended up costing about $150, but that is including our "milk house heaters" and leaving us plenty of extra 6 mil plastic to cover possible damage during winter. The floor is insulated and separate from the deck (which is partly on dirt). This is our "starter" greenhouse and if we feel like we can make it work, we'll go forward with a more substantial one, but this is the greenhouse that will be wintering our potted plants and housing our seedlings in the spring. I think Superman did a great job. What do you think?


Now this little beauty is what I teased Tootsie about. I had pointed out a smaller version in a neighbor's yard and at Harbor Freight, but Superman felt he could do better for a lot less. Well, since he built this out of scrap wood from a neighbor's old fence and pieces of 2 x 4 he had saved, I'd say he did just that. How much did it cost? $0! Can you believe it? Free (besides his labor, which he gives freely.) And since we had little tree that didn't survive last winter's snows, we had the perfect spot for it. Can't you just picture wave petunias pouring out of a big galvanized steel bucket in the spring?


Superman is just the best, isn't he? He did this without plans. We're letting the wood get seasoned this winter and then we'll decide if we want to stain it or just leave it be...what do you think we should do? This is how it looks in relation to the house:

(See, all my flowers are gone...sniff, sniff.) So, Tootsie, pretty cute, isn't it?

Don't forget to head over to Tootsie's Garden to see what everyone else is doing these days...not everyone is dealing with snow-is-coming-blahs.

4 comments:

Tootsie said...

I love the greenhouse!!! show me some shots of the inside!!!?
that superman is a dear soul...he did a great job on all of it. I would leave that little wishing well unpainted and rustic...it might end up looking a little too much ...but wait till spring to see how the wood turns...I love it...and I must admit your attentive and sweet husband is such that he makes me jealous...

deb said...

Can Superman visit me? LOL
Great wishing well!
*hugs*deb

teresa said...

Nice Green house and wishing well. I think I would see how it weathers. May look great just like it is. Lucky you to have a green house to start early next year.

Unknown said...

I'm with the majority here. Let the wood weather, it will likely be a pretty grey/silver color, like the houses around here on Cape Cod. Super pretty