Monday, January 25, 2010

Making Your Home Sing Monday


It is Making Your Home Sing Monday and this week Nan is talking about "failing" in her post for Making Your Home Sing Monday. How you feel so frustrated with yourself when you spend too long on the internet, or eat that donut, or don't get done what you planned to do. "Failure?" As I was contemplating last week and looking ahead to this week, I just couldn't use the word failure.

Here I gave you my list of things I needed to get done. I didn't get them all done. Not even close. Yet, I don't feel like a failure. Why not? Because making your home sing is not always about getting certain things done. The list I made last week did what it needed to do: it gave me a sense of order after too long without it. I took charge again and felt fantastic, even though many of the things on my list fell to the wayside as I had other things that needed my attention.

I did exercise five days last week and I picked right up with it today. Much of my time last week was spent on things I didn't think to put on the list. I got our taxes done. Valiant had a tough time after having his wisdom teeth pulled. It feels like I rearranged the entire house in a few days and we did host an awesome craft night, leading to a day of sewing with my daughter - priceless.

The rest of the stuff? Not done. I still need to work on the curriculum for the kids and our New Year's letters are sealed and ready to be mailed tomorrow. The thank-you's are going to be printed and written tonight and added to tomorrow's mail. (I'm using images from Indie Fixx's Feed Your Soul to make the cards...they are free and they are so cute.)

What does this have to do with making my home sing? Everything! I think it is important that we remind ourselves harmony happens when we decide to be happy and happiness has a sound all its own. It is not always about the results, but the attitude. Last week our began my week feeling so out of control, I just knew that things would spiral if I didn't get a handle on my own feelings. This week, I have more things to do than last week, but I'm feeling full ready and able to cope with them all. Attitude is everything and we are in charge of our own attitudes. This week will be a terrific one, regardless of what I get crossed off my to-do list.

No matter how much remains undone at the end of the week our house will be singing right along...and failure will not be how we describe ourselves.

To see what everyone else is up to this week, head over to Momstheword and check in with Nan.

8 comments:

Leah said...

Thank you for this gentle reminder... I am one of those who gets out of sorts when things don't go well... but ironically if Mom doesn't get out of sorts things still go pretty smooth!

Cheryl B. said...

When our eldest son started our original blog for us (www.xanga.com/thehousethatlovebuilt) he put a saying across the top which we never changed. Why? Because it still fits. The saying? "Life is what happens while your busy making other plans".

I have another saying that still fits, even though all of "our boys" are now in their twenty's. "I wish the children were half as patient as the housework" o;-p

But sometimes, it's not just that they aren't patient - it's that life happened - again. Such as the wisdom tooth. Creating warm caring for them memories is F-A-R more important than their living in an absoluetly spotless, totally organized, home. Trust me. I could cite examples.

Thanks for stopping by today :-}

Mindy said...

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog today and blessing me with your encouraging comment. I love the new friends I am making through this community. I loved your attitude towards lists, they are to organize, but not always obeyed. When I relaxed on this, I took a lot of pressure off myself.

Although, I have to admit, if I get something done that isn't on the list, I write it down, just so I have the satisfaction of CROSSING IT OFF!

Blessings to you!

momstheword said...

You know, what you said is so true. Things come up that have to be done ahead of the list, or we forget to add stuff, etc.

Still, it is better to have a list because that alone removes the stress of trying to remember everything you have to do, you know?

Like you said, you didn't fail! You prioritized! I have lots to do tomorrow and though I won't get everything done, at least it's a start. Thanks for linking up!

Tami @ This Mom's Delight said...

You have a great outlook! Thanks for the encouragement!

Joyfull said...

Truly a great attitude, I loved how you put it's not about the results, but about the attitude. Thanks for sharing today.

Mikki said...

What a great post! Love it!!
It rings so true. I think sometimes we get so busy RUNNING our house that we forget to make it Sing with joy and laughter!

Thanks for stopping by my blog!!

Have a beautiful day!

The imPerfect Housewife said...

Awwwe, I know it's not Monday, but I loved this post - SO true!! I've yet to join the Monday meme but I bet I will someday. I just love Nan and her blog. I hope you have a great day ~ ♥