Friday, January 22, 2010

Hoover Dam


Friday Photo Flashback time again? I must say that this week has flown by. Fortunately, I'd done a bit of advanced planning and have a picture from the pre-digital days to share with you, just as Alicia at More Than Words asks us to.

August 25, 2004 - the summer before Buttercup started kindergarten. Superman had business in Las Vegas and so we loaded up the family and headed over, too. (Southern California to Vegas is less than 4 hours drive.) We stayed at the Luxor and the kids still talk about "when they stayed in a pyramid". We lounged around the pool and we decided to head to Hoover Dam. Not the best time to head out into the desert (oh, it was hot!), but Hoover Dam is an absolutely amazing site to see with your own eyes. It is massive. Did you know that the concrete is still curing and will still be curing for years to come? Isn't that crazy? We took the guided tour and spent a lot of time in the education center. They still weren't letting you go across the dam, but the sheer scale was astounding. The photos of the people who came to work on the dam in the 30s were humbling. Desperate for work, willing to live in the desert with no running water, no air conditioning, and no refrigeration. Families came by the droves for the opportunity. Can you imagine living like that? The photos tell the story.

Of course, we had the obligatory tour photo. I had dark hair...I loved my dark hair. I wish I could still have dark hair, but I have way too much grey to do it. Let's see. Buttercup was 5, Valiant was 8, and Charming was 13. We had no idea that would be our last full year in Southern California and could not have predicted then where life would be taking us. Seems like so long ago, but it was only five and half years.


Thanks for letting me share with you. To see what everyone dug up, head over to More Than Words and check out their photos.

7 comments:

More Than Words said...

I would to see that one day!!

And yes, you do look great with really dark hair! It really brings out your features!!!

Chubskulit Rose said...

You look great with dark hair!

I am too late for this but still catching up.

Please check out the Music in Me when you have time.

Ebie said...

This is a lovely family photo! I was there a couple times. Me, too, I love your dark hair.

P.S. I am from Southern CA, Noho/Burbank area.

Tootsie said...

have a wonderful weekend...oh...and don't forget to stop by this week...starting right now to enter and learn about the great give away that is being held on my blog this week!

The imPerfect Housewife said...

I think it's funny how just a few years' time can turn our "kids" into teens and then adults - what's up with that??? You look good with dark hair AND with blonde but I think you look younger with the blonde. GREAT picture!! ♥

The imPerfect Housewife said...

P.S. I just read your previous post and your friend will be added to my prayer list. That breaks my heart.

His Unfailing Love said...

you all look great, what a great memory.