Saturday, August 15, 2009

Quick and Easy Rolls for Soup or Chili or Stew!


Yesterday was a cold and blustery day...perfect soup weather. So I pulled out the chicken carcasses I've frozen over the last few months, and set them to boil in a pot of water. (What? You don't save your chicken carcasses for soup stock when you have a roast chicken? Seriously? That's okay, I didn't start doing it until two years ago, so I know it is never too late to learn new things!) Anyway, while the bones were simmering to give me stock for my chicken soup, I wondered what I'd serve with it. JennyMac at Jenny Mac's Lip Smack came to my rescue by posting this recipe she'd found from Chow Times. How perfect was that? This roll recipe was super easy and super fast (no rise time needed because there is no yeast!). I modified it a little by substituting garlic for the green onions, but other than that, I followed the recipe exactly. The kids viewed the rolls suspiciously, but one bite won them over.

Butter Dips
from JennyMac who found it at Chow Times

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
3 green onions, finely chopped (I couldn't do it...we used 1 teaspoon garlic powder instead) 1 cup 2% milk (I used non-fat because that is what we have)
1/2 cup butter

1. Sift dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Stir in cheese and green onions. Add milk and stir slowly with a fork until dough clings together.

2. Turn the dough onto a floured board, coat the dough with flour and knead lightly about 10 times. Roll the dough out to about 1/2 inch thick. Cut into 1-inch squares. (I think I over kneaded a little and I definitely cut my squares too big!)

3. Melt butter in a 450°F degree oven in a 8×8 square baking pan. Coat all the sides of the squares in the melted butter. Bake in same pan for 25 to 30 minutes. After baking, flip the little buns over in the pan to coat the top with any remaining butter.

Pull apart and serve warm.

8 comments:

Muthering Heights said...

Those sound delicious!!

DarcyLee said...

I love good bread and this sounds really good. I'm usually the one that gets sent home with the leftover turkey carcass or ham bone after a holiday dinner. I hate to see it wasted because it makes the best stock.

Amelia said...

That does sound easy! I think I will actually try this one too...Hmmmmmmmm...I think you are starting to turn me into a good cook! Ha! All these great easy recipes that you share...wonderful! Keep going...my family will appreciate it :0)! I hope you are having a wonderful weekend!
Smiles:0)!

Jessica said...

Oh, yum! Glad you came by, hope to see you again soon! :)

Collette@Jesuslovesmums said...

I love that recipe! Sound yummy and will try them.
Collette xxxx

Tootsie said...

oh yum!!! I am home now...and things are cold and soggy here in my area...have you dried out your garden yet?

PropellerHeadMom said...

Looks and sounds delicious! I'll have to try them next time I cook my chili!

Erin said...

Made them again and this time I added basil (still instead of the green onions...I just can't do it) and cut them into 1" squares...they were more "bite size" this time...I really liked them and the basil was a keeper.