Thursday, August 13, 2009

Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars


I can't believe it, but I'm finally back on track with making Superman's Friday Delight snack before 9 p.m. Thursday night! This morning (did you read that? this MORNING!) I tried a new recipe for a Chocolate Chip Cookie Bar that really delivered. Seriously, it turned out really well. Fast, easy, and good! Unlike some cookie bars I've tried, this one stayed moist...not a dry bite in the bunch. It would be perfect to take on a picnic or a pot luck barbecue or any place that you want to take a snack but you don't want to worry about refrigeration.

So, where did I find this super simple recipe? I'm glad you asked...this little gem was featured on Worth Her Salt, a cooking blog hosted by Lacey. (You've got to love anyone who shares a rant that Michael Pollan did about the Food Network being about personalities rather than cooking these days. As my BIL pointed out, saying the Food Network is about the food is like saying MTV is about music. Enough said.) Anyway, back to the recipe and the blog. Loving Lacey's blog and I think you'll really like this recipe. So, go bake!

Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
from Lacey at Worth Her Salt

Ingredients:
2 1/8 cups all-purpose flour (I don't have a 1/8 cup measuring cup! Do you?)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 teaspoon vanilla (Of course, I measure my vanilla very carefully!)
2 cups chocolate chips (about one 12 oz bag)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 325. Grease 9x13 pan and set aside. Melt butter in a large microwave safe mixing bowl.

2. Add sugars to butter and mix until combined. Add eggs and vanilla and mix well.

3. In separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, and salt then add to the sugar mixture and fold together with a spatula or wooden spoon, just until combined. Don’t overmix or the gluten will develop and make the cookies tough. (Who knew that is why cookies got tough?) Fold in the chocolate chips.

4. Spread in greased 9×13 pan (the dough will be a little greasy, but don’t worry). Bake until just set in the middle, 27-30 minutes. (Mine took 27 minutes...they are light golden blonde, not chocolate chip cookie-colored.)

There you have it! Can you believe I got them done by 1:00 p.m.? I am so jazzed!

(Now I can go look through boxes of photos for Friday Photo Flashback and figure out what aspect of my garden I'll be sharing for Fertilizer Friday. And I get to do it all ahead of time...yay!)

2 comments:

Lacey said...

Fantastic! I'm glad you enjoyed them. Thanks for the links! I'll add your blog to my links

Melissa Henning said...

you always crack me up w/ your vanilla comments...just cruising your site for something evil and sweet to make. Sugar is my friend again, but I'm thinking about it too much again...lol. What is a girl to do? (I loved that you said this in the blog w/ the magic cookie bars(??)). Surf your site for a great recipe and get it out of my system before it turns into something HUGE that I can't be held accountable for. lol