Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Look at what I did!

One of the things I noticed when I started my journey of learning to sew, I noticed that the best things were made by people who made their own piping and their own bias tape, rather than trying to find "matching trim". The trim matches the projects so well and the whole project ends up looking far better. The only problem? I had no idea how to make my own piping or bias tape.


Well, I didn't let that stop me and I am proud to show you the cat pillow I trimmed with my own home-made piping. It was much easier to make piping that I anticipated and, if you're even the least bit interested, I encourage you to try to it yourself. I used the same fabric I used for the back of the pillow. All you do is cut a strip of material roughly 2" wide and as long as you need it to be (I connected strips to get the length I needed) and then you simply sew the "rope" inside the fabric. It is that easy.

So, here is my cat pillow...as you can see, the cat really likes it. (He does like it, really, he just doesn't like the paparazzi.)

7 comments:

Alicia The Snowflake said...

Oh how cute...both the pillow & the cat! He looks very content. Good for you my friend! Keep up the good work!

momstheword said...

oh I think deep down he's loving the attention. He just likes to pretend that he doesn't, lol!

Love the bright colors you chose, so pretty. We had to buy our dog bed at Sams as I am now inclined to sew!

Clark said...

I love the pillow and the stuffed cat! It looks so real. The picture really doesn't do the pillow justice. It was well worth the effort.

Andrea said...

WOW...I am impressed. Great JOB...blessings and prayers, andrea

Lynn said...

Oh isn't that pillow adorable! You have one lucky kitty :)

Unknown said...

Now I know where you have been all day. I love love love the fabric, your piping is beautiful and of course Sam is as always super stylin'. The pillow turned out really great.

Erin said...

Thanks, everyone...I love the way it turned out and it definitely inspired me to keep trying new things.