Monday, June 29, 2009

Making Your Home Sing Monday!


It is Monday! Are you excited? I am! I feel like I've been on vacation for TWO weeks, even though it has actually been only one and I'm really looking forward to getting back into the swing of things. I think I'm feeling this way because immediately following our camping trip, we ripped apart our house. For most of last week, our house was in disarray and nothing seemed to get done. (Lots actually got done, but not much of the normal stuff!)

This week, however, things are pretty much back in order, with the exception of one room and I can handle disorder in one room! So, for Making Your Home Sing Monday, our house will be singing and doing the Hamster Dance! Why the Hamster Dance? Because it is this silly little tune that accompanies Buttercup's screen saver and since the room I'm working on is the family room, I'll be hearing it whenever her computer switches to the screen saver. (Plus, everyone is upbeat and silly this week because we're having visitors at the end of the week!)

Mom's the Word wrote about choosing not to overlook those daily tasks that are so important to the well-being of your home and family and I'm right there with her this week. For my family, falling out of our routine is so easy to do and really so detrimental to the family rhythm. The children's moods just seem to deteriorate when we live in a fly-by-the-seat-of-our-pants manner. It all starts with letting the "little" things go. Pretty soon the little things have become big things and it takes much effort to turn things around. I hate that! So, for this week, before things get bad, I'm getting us back into our routine. Bedtimes will be enforced, Superman and I are headed to the gym each morning and the family will have breakfast together each morning. Superman and Charming will head off to work and Buttercup, Valiant, and I will take care of our business: schooling, the yard, and the house. Lots of play will be happening, too, because the neighborhood kids are home and the neighborhood pool is open. Chores will be done BEFORE play...no excuses! It seems like so little, but these things make my entire household run more smoothly and my family is much happier. The truth is, it always comes back to me and I can't ignore that.

For more Making Your Home Sing Monday, head over to Mom's the Word and see what everyone else has got going on today!

Buttercup and Valiant hope you have fun watching the Hamster Dance. (Just remember, this is my reality!) Have a super week!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're on vacation this week, so I am taking some much needed time off to sit in the pool with a romance novel and sun. So now I am trying to get SPF 1000 sunscreen off my body and get ready to take #1 to work because his car is in the shop.

Maybe back to normal next week. LOL

Unknown said...

I still haven't managed a routine, well actually I have it goes like this... Get everything super clean... Wait three weeks... go crazy for two days... get everything super clean... and so on and so on. It is getting better, but I am not there yet. No more piles of laundry anymore and the dishwasher is stacked after every meal and run when full. Small improvements add up

momstheword said...

Great post. Things always seem to fall apart when I get off my routines.

I love where you said "little things have become big things" because that's exactly it. Digging out is just so much harder than keeping up with it!

Thanks for linking up today!

Alicia The Snowflake said...

I've learned with just my one that kids thrive on routine. I hope to get back into ours in two weeks. That's when we'll be starting back to school. I am ready and I think he will be too. Take care my friend! Hope you are able to get your family room done quickly!

Tootsie said...

I hope you have a great week girlfriend...I have a routine...it helps the kids feel like they are in control of something too....especially my ADD/ODD kid!!!

Andrea said...

I always made my kids get their things cleaned up before we did special events. What a blessing to come home to a peaceful, neat home.

More Than Words said...

Good for you, Erin, for getting things back on track! I love it when I have a routine too, but right now, I don't. ;)

Clark said...

dada dee tah dee tah deda......