Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Day 2 - 30 Day Paleo Challenge

Day 2 of our 30 Day Paleo Challenge!  You know what that means?  Only 28 more days to go!  Yes, it is like that...we're already counting down. Valiant is having trouble with this challenge...he broke on Day One and had a cupcake! A cupcake!!   On the flip side, Buttercup held firm, even in the face of spaghetti and garlic bread!  I was so proud of her.  To add to our commitment, Superman has let me know that he's giving up coffee for 30 days in solidarity.  Isn't that the sweetest? 

This morning was tough.   We had a hectic day that started really early and all anyone could think about was how limited they're feeling.   Throw in some serious stress and I really, really wanted some comfort food or, at the least, a Diet Coke.  I drove by my dealer, um, I mean, the gas station, where I normally get my Diet Coke fix and I just kept driving.   Valiant really, really wanted me to pull in, but I held firm. 


I even managed to make it to the gym to get my point for doing the WOD.  I didn't do really well, but there were aspects of my workout that thrilled me.  I am getting so close to being able to do a real pull-up.  I don't know if I'll make it before our one year anniversary at the gym (May 13), but I'll sure be close.

Dinner tonight was an experiement that turned out pretty well.  The kids prepared themselves for gross and were pleasantly surprised.  I used Superman's new wok (it was great, Honey!) to throw together some chicken stir-fry using coconut aminos instead of soy sauce.  (Soy sauce has soy and wheat...both are paleo no-nos.)  Next time I make it, I think I'll add some beef broth for some depth of flavor, but I was really pleased with how it all came together.

Quick Chicken Stir-Fry

2 Boneless Skinless Chicken breasts - cut up into small pieces
2 Zucchinis - cut into chunks
2 Yellow Squash - cut into chunks
a bunch of Broccoli florets
a cup of Baby Carrots - cut into chunks
Baby Bok Choy - chopped
4 Mushrooms - sliced
1/2 yellow onion - sliced into large chunks (so my daughter can pick them out!)
Sesame Oil
Chinese Five Spice seasoning
Coconut Aminos
Minced Garlic
Salt *  (I think that beef broth would make this unnecessary)
Pepper
Red Pepper Flakes
(Beef Broth)* - next time, I'll be adding this!

Get your pan (wok!) onto the stove and add the sesame oil.  Throw in the chicken, the onion, garlic, and a generous bit of coconut aminos and begin to cook the chicken.  As the chicken absorbs some of the liquid, add the beef broth, the five spice, and pepper until the chicken is done.  Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside. 

Using the same pan, add in all the vegetables, a little of the coconut aminos (a tablespoon), and some beef broth and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes.  Cook until the vegetables are done and then add back in the meat.

That is it...once everything is cooked, you just serve it up.  As I said, this wasn't perfect, but it was pretty darned good and I'm inspired to try it again soon.

No comments: