Saturday, May 26, 2012

Best (and Weirdest!) Snack Ever

One of the things that is so difficult about going grain-free, paleo, or primal, is that salty, crunchy snacking seems to disappear.  Now, don't get me wrong, I completely understand that the vast majority of snack foods are horrible for you and that snacking per se can be a euphemism for mindless eating, but sometimes I still crave something crunchy and salty.

Best snack ever!
 Apparently, Melissa Joulwan at The Clothes Make the Girl felt the same way, because she included an amazing recipe in her cookbook, Well Fed. If you haven't checked out this cookbook, you really should. I've loved this cookbook. I've learned so much from it because it comes from this place of basic ingredients prepared with simple techniques and then supplemented by different spice combinations to mix things up. This is a cookbook that you can actually use regularly without being Julia Child. Anyway, Melissa felt my pain at losing crunchy, salty snacks and added this snack as a hot popcorn substitute.

I like organic...just make sure they're unsweetened.
I won't lie, I was skeptical when I first saw it. I just didn't see how it could deliver all that it promised. Still, Buttercup and I were feeling brave (or desperate) one afternoon and decided to give it a try. Fast forward a few weeks and I will say we've made it three more times and we love it! Seriously love it.

Just use your bamboo spoon to stir them around...they'll turn quickly.
To make it even better, this is a quick and easy recipe that requires only three ingredients: 1 cup of unsweetened coconut flakes, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp of cinnamon. That's it. She calls it Caramelized Coconut Chips; I've been calling it Toasted Coconut Chips. Either way, it is sooo good!

See?  They're browning...keeping the flakes moving or the little pieces will burn.
All you do is slightly brown your coconut chips in a non-stick pan (I use seasoned cast iron), then toss them in the salt and cinnamon. It is that simple.
Use a fork to toss the toasted flakes in the salt and cinnamon...and they're ready!
Now, if you're like me, you are highly skeptical of my claim that this is amazing. That's okay. I know that once you try it, you'll be hooked.   Then, all you'll need to do, is arm-wrestle your kids for them!

No comments: