Saturday, October 22, 2011

Paleo Pie Crust

One of the struggles I've had since giving up wheat and other grains is how I can have celebrations like birthdays, holidays, parties, and other random occasions.  Like it or not, dessert is part of these things and, if I do say so myself, I was really, really good at dessert.


Still, I feel so much better since I gave up grains, especially wheat, that I'm trying very hard to stay away from them entirely.   I was super excited to get my copy of Paleo Comfort Foods by Julie and Charles Mayfield.  Everything I'd heard said there would be some hints to help me solve my conundrum and what I'd heard was correct.


Tried the Nutty Pie Crust (page 114!) last week and, while it wasn't a complete success, I was pleased enough to keep it on my list.  It was really easy and quite tasty.



Frankly, the pie crust was quite flavorful, but not flakey like a flour crust.  More like a graham cracker crust.  Unfortunately, the crust didn't hold up to a wet pie, like the apple pie I chose to make (had apples from our tree that had to be used).  Also, it didn't lend itself to a top crust, so I had to come up with a crumble topping on the fly.  Still, the flavor was fantastic and this pie crust would work really well with a custardy pie, like a pumpkin pie or a cheesecake.  If you're at all interested in something like this, I highly recommend this recipe.  It was definitely worth the effort.

If you want to know more, head over to Paleo Comfort Foods and check out some of the recipes.  You'll be amazed at what you can make.

I can hardly wait to try these Morning Glory Muffins!

No comments: