Friday, April 9, 2010

Fertilizer Friday - Epic Disaster

It is Fertilizer Friday...and I was so excited to share photos from my greenhouse with you today. Unfortunately, yesterday we were hit with wind gusts exceeding 60 mph and, in addition to ripping shingles off the roof, uprooting my old birdhouse tree (dead, but still), and destroyed the greenhouse in about 45 minutes. Through the heroic efforts of my children, we managed to save all the plants, although some of them may not make it for the duration. (Broken stems may spell doom for some of the seedlings...but the vast majority should be fine.)

All that is left of the greenhouse...the plastic tore and was ripped from the floor, the side supports snapped, and the ends cracked.

The view from within the greenhouse...

The shelves that used to be in the greenhouse...


Sam is exploring the sad remains...I'll be cleaning that up today...


I guess I've solved the dilemma of what to put on top of my kitchen cupboards...

Petunias, verbena, cosmos, marigolds, zinnias, and melons (I think)...

Lettuce, broccoli, pumpkins, zucchini, corn, and sunflowers.

Here in Zone 5, we have a last frost date of May 15, so I guess I'll be keeping these babies in the kitchen for a month. I'm just happy we saved so many of them.

Fertilizer Friday is the day when gardeners from all over the world join in and share the blooms of their labors! Head over to Tootsie's place and see what the gardeners have been doing.

As for me, I have some seeds to sow (yes, they'll be a bit behind the curve, but still, they'll bloom!)...

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, you poor dear. I'm so sorry for you. Looks like you saved your plants, tho. Good luck with them.

Carin said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry. I know how much you love it in there. glad all the plants made it and you have such a good place to keep them inside for the time being.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow. Good thing you were all at home. This pretty weather is nice, but it's too hot too early. Makes me nervous.

deb said...

OMG!!! so sorry this happened! Your poor greenhouse and those lucky babies you were able to save. Wishing you the best of luck with them all. This weather is just so crazy lately. Be safe. Your kitchne looks like a nursery :):) Pretty ...
*hugs*deb

Tutus and Choo-Choos said...

So glad you were able to save your plants! The wind here has been bad the last few days, but not as bad as what you had. Take care and happy cleaning!

Noel Morata said...

aloha lona,

everything looks like a disaster zone...i love how you've improvised and set up the seedlings on top of your cabinets...very innovative.... thanks for sharing

Lemon Lane Studio said...

Wow...what a wind that must have been...love that you made lemonade out it though. The seedlings on top of the kitchen counter...ingenious!

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

I'm so sorry that happened to you!!! What a bout of tough luck...looks like you made some lemonade from the lemons though!!! Good luck with your remaining plants!!!

Paula said...

I am so sorry to hear about your greenhouse. I am so glad you were able to save your plants. THey all look really happy - you must truly have a green thumb! What are you going to do with your greenhouse? Thanks for sharing - tons of hugs,Paula from Idaho

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Oh, dear! I'm sorry your greenhouse was ruined by the wind. We've had some pretty windy days, too. Do you have any florescent lights to put above the plants? I'm worried they could get leggy if they don't have enough light. I hope they survive.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

Tootsie said...

girl...I have tears in my eyes...I am so sorry this happened to you!!! Soon you should be able to put them out during the day right? I hope they survive for you up there!!! my kitchen would be too dark....Oh how heartbreaking...superman...oh poor superman...he has now another repair job!
hugs to you dear heart...I am amazed you had such good spirits about this! I would have been a nasty soul!
have a great weekend and thanks for linking in this week

loveaphid said...

AHHHHHH! NO! Wow that blows! ha ha ha ha ha... hey you know you can count on me for the comic relief. Honestly though, I'm really sorry. But at least from the looks of it the seedlings are going to make it. You and this garden are not having the best of luck are you?

Well here is a big cyber-hug from your little sister telling you everything will be OK.

Holly said...

Oh no! Poor greenhouse! :(

Clark said...

So sad...how are the survivors? Did we lose many more?

Leah said...

Oh my.... what a mess... Hope you are able to salvage some of them! On another note I am tagging you...if you wish to play along post your 10th picture and blog about it... see my post for more info... If you don't want to take part it is OK...

More Than Words said...

Oh my gosh, that is crazy wind!!!

I'm glad you were able to save what you have!!!