Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Make It Yourself Monday (Tuesday Edition)

Sorry about missing the day...I had this post as a draft, but it needed a few tweaks before posting. However, Valiant needed me more yesterday. So, here I am with another Make It Yourself Monday post - the Tuesday Edition.

I saw this post at Can't Stop Making Things and I couldn't stop thinking about it. Look at this "Message Tile" Gail made. She was even kind enough to give a tutorial here. I was intrigued, but I couldn't see a need to for "message tile" at my house. Maybe Superman's team would like them? Hmmm...
Then, Buttercup came home from Mrs. M's house with this little treasure and I knew it was meant to be. When Mrs. M came up with this project, she had the kids add feet to their tiles, so they can be used on furniture without fear of scratching...smart thinking, Mrs. M! Buttercup featured her hamster, Biscuit, on her tile and wrote her own name across the top (which I then obscured for this post)...I think it is super cute.



So, whether you think you need a "Message Tile" or a hot drink trivet or maybe a special paperweight, this is definitely a do-able gift idea. Emergency numbers just sitting on the counter for the kids or the babysitter. Drawings by each child creating a set of hot drink trivets as a gift for relatives. Team logos for a sports fan. The possibilities are endless and my mind is whirring.

So, what do you think?

6 comments:

Clark said...

I love this! What kind of pens did they use?

Erin said...

I don't know what Mrs. M. used with the kids, but Gail used the porcelaine pen shown in the photo and then you use a dry-erase pen on the tile.

Anonymous said...

The tile is cute, but you can only have one message while you are gone, so not very practical. But I could see it as having emergency numbers on it for a baby sitter and have it by the phone. Not that we use baby sitters around here anymore. But it would be a great gift for a new mom.
I have several the kids did of their hands in preschool and I use them as wall art in my kitchen. I wonder if I could get them to do one now, to add to my collection or if they'd think it was dumb?

Tootsie said...

this is so cool!!!!
I am so glad I popped in to tell you that the seed collection post is up....hope your eyes are rested...it's going to be a LONG read! lol

Gail said...

Thank you for featuring my message tile. The porcelaine pens (available at Michael's) come in several different colors so you could use them to make the colorful trivet.

Erin said...

Gens, I agree. Tootsie, you know I'll be heading over there and Gail, thanks so much for sharing your clever idea...I'll let you know when we make them.