This recipe is all over the internet as it is originally from Bon Appetit, but I found it via Fake Ginger. It is kind of a cross between banana bread and coffee cake. I doubled the recipe (but the original recipe is below) and halved the sugar (with both sugar and honey, it just seemed like too much to me...everyone agreed it would have been quite sweet with more sugar...I'll keep it this way). So, if you're looking for a new recipe to try that is a little more dessert than banana bread, give this one a try. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Banana Bread with Cinnamon Crumble Topping
from Bon Appetit
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar (I only used 1/2 cup sugar)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 to 3 medium)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 1/2 tablespoons (packed) golden brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour 9x5x3-inch metal baking pan. Whisk 1 1/2 cups flour, 1 cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup), 1 teaspoon cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl. Whisk next 5 ingredients in large bowl until smooth. Add dry ingredients; stir to blend. Transfer batter to pan. Mix 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and brown sugar; sprinkle over batter.
- Bake bread until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Cool bread in pan 30 minutes. Turn pan on its side; slide out bread, being careful not to dislodge topping. Turn bread right side up and cool completely.