Friday, February 20, 2009

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies


Well, I haven't been baking much, but these cookies gave me an excuse to play with Minnie. This recipe is for the thick, chewy oatmeal raisin cookie that I like (very different from my awesome Dunking Platters). They are not too sweet, which is a nice change after two months of holiday eating. These cookies come from Deb at the Smitten Kitchen and you can find her original post here. Give them a try when you're wanting a not-too-sweet treat.

Thick, Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

1 cup of butter - softened (two sticks)
1 1/3 cups of brown sugar - packed
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract (oh, please, why do recipes always say 1 teaspoon - I always use more!)
1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups oats
1 1/2 cups raisins
1 cup chopped walnuts (um, I left these out, as always!)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, cream together butter, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla.

In separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Combine with butter mixture, then add oats, raisins, and nuts (if you're using them!).

Deb said to put them on parchment paper, but I just used my Pampered Chef scooper and put them on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 12 minutes or until bottom looks golden and the tops look not quite done. Leave on the cookie sheet for five minutes before transferring to cooling rack.

These are such a nice change from the super sweet baked goods we seem to eat from November to Valentine's Day. Give them a try.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How funny, I made oatmeal cookies today too! There must have been a psychic bond across the country.

Erin said...

Obviously!