Saturday, October 16, 2010

Caramel Corn (Cracker Jacks)...My New Addiction

You know all about the Divine Mrs. M.  She's the friend that showed us how to make Sun Dills.  She's the friend that lets me get my baby fix by spending time with her now-almost-year-old son.  She's also the friend that got me hooked on home-made Caramel Corn.  Seriously.  "My name is Erin and I have a problem with Caramel Corn."  The most surprising part of this all?  Before I tried Mrs. M's caramel corn, I would have proclaimed for all to hear that I didn't like caramel corn.  I didn't.  Now, however?  I am hooked.


In my extreme kindness, I decided to share my addiction with you all.  Why should I be the only addict?  I don't think I'm your dealer, but I'm definitely your enabler!

Try this caramel corn...if you dare.  Oh, did I mention that it is super easy?  Yeah, I knew you'd like that.

Caramel Corn (Cracker Jacks)
Shared by Divine Mrs. M (from Cooks.com)

Ingredients:
4 quarts popped corn (roughly 1/2 cup before popping)
1 16 oz container of peanuts (we left these out...we're not nutty)
1 cup light brown sugar
1 stick butter
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/3 teaspoon salt

Set aside:
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 250F.

2.  Put popped popcorn in large bowl and set aside.

3.  Grease large cookie sheet and set aside.

4.  In a medium saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter, corn syrup and salt.  Bring to a boil, stirring constantly (set time for 2 minutes).

5.  Remove saucepan from heat and quickly stir in the baking soda and vanilla.  The mixture will foam up.  Stir it down.

6.Add the mixture to the bowl of popcorn, mixing and stirring thoroughly with wooden spoon greased with butter.  [When pouring liquid over popcorn be careful...the mixture IS HOT and RETAINS HEAT.] Add peanuts (optional).

7.  When thoroughly mixed, spread the coated popcorn on a greased baking sheet.  Do not overload the baking sheet (bake in multiple batches if necessary).

8.  Bake 15 minutes at 250F; turn over using silicone spatula and bake another 15 minutes.

9.  Allow to cool thoroughly and store in air tight container.

The entire thing takes about 40 minutes from start to finish.  Oh, and clean-up is easy.  (I thought it would be really difficult, but I was pleasantly surprised.)

A new addiction?  Aren't you excited?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love love love me some caramel corn. My teeth don't love me for it but yum! I've tried three recipes in the past that have fallen short of expectations - this one looks like a winner!! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I am going to have to fix this Saturday. #3 is having our yearly Halloween party, started when #1 was in Kindergarten, 15 years ago (SIGH) and the girls will spend the night and go with us to church on Sunday. What a fun treat. I think I will get the nuts since I love Cracker Jacks, but I will get enough to do two batches. What a fun way to use our air popper!

pam said...

So funny! i am sitting here catching up on your blog and my sweetie brings me a bowl of kettle corn he just popped. And up pops your caramel corn post!

You are right! This does look much easier than i thought it would be. and i am, without apology, a caramel corn addict!

Thank you! I will definitely try the recipe.