Thursday, August 5, 2010

They DO Exist! (Strange Facts)

No, I'm not talking about Santa and the M&M guys.  I'm talking about huckleberries.  If you're not familiar with the Pacific Northwest, you may not have ever had these little beauties.  Apparently, they are difficult to cultivate and so remain a rarity.  A cousin of the easier-to-cultivate blueberry, huckleberries are much more flavorful than their blue cousins and range in color from crimson to deep purple.  Given their rarity, many people have never heard of huckleberries outside of Huckleberry Hound (for those of us of a certain age) and a saying that most people don't really understand:  "I'm your huckleberry" means "I'm the right person for the task/job".

In fact, when we first moved here, Superman thought I was joking when I said I was so excited to taste huckleberries again.  He told me there was no such thing as a huckleberry.  Well, I guess the joke was definitely on him.  In fact, huckleberries are the official fruit of Idaho (who knew?) and are one of the fun signs of summer in this region.

Buttercup recently went huckleberry picking and came up with these shiny beauties, as well as some wild raspberries.  After we ate our fill, there were not enough to bake with, but they made an awesome addition to a fruit smoothy.  It was so good.  There you have it, proof positive, they DO exist.

.

2 comments:

Clark said...

What do they taste like?

Andi said...

LOL - I thought they were fictional until I moved here, too!