Monday, July 26, 2010

Seriously? Seriously.

I live in one of the first counties to have banned phosphates in dishwasher detergent.  I am also one of the hold-outs who quickly realized that the phosphate-free stuff wasn't going to work in our hard water, so I stocked up on the "good" stuff before the ban went into effect more than a year ago.  Unfortunately, my stash has run out and I'm a bit peeved.

Now don't get me wrong.  I completely understand the desire to get phosphates out of our waste water, but this is unacceptable.



This is what my glass looked like after going through the dishwasher.  (I broke it when I put it into the sink to hand-wash.)  So, for all of you who think those of us with hard water are just being babies about this (and there are plenty of them), take a look at this glass.  Let's be clear here:  This was washed with one of the "new, reformulated to work better in hard water" formulas.  Really? Oh, yes.  This is much better than the one I tried last year.  Still, I'm thinking this isn't going to work for me. (And I didn't even show you the silverware...trust me, you really didn't want to see that.)

What do you think?

5 comments:

Nancy at EmbroideryIt.com said...

Yep...It sure is frustrating. I've been reading about putting vinegar, reg. white vinegar where you put your rinse agent or jet dry. I wonder if that would help you? If you try it and it works let me know. If I run across any good tips for this I'll be sure to pass them along. Until then, it is Dollar Store cheep plastic glasses.
Have a good one.
Nancy
http://www.howtohomemaker.com/

Clark said...

Hmmmmm...I vote for a trip to Idaho.... ;)

Antonia said...

My mom uses Palmolive Eco + in combination with Jet Dry, and that seems to work nicely.

Anonymous said...

I think I can send you some of the banned stuff.

Shelly said...

I do believe you can get it right across the border in the neighboring state: ID. That's where I get mine. Sad, but true.