Friday, July 2, 2010

Fertilizer Friday--Rainy Day Edition


I know I've been a no-show to Fertilizer Friday, but it is not because my garden isn't doing anything.  Really!  On the contrary, our garden is thriving.  Unfortunately, my life is crazy chaotic right now and blogging is play I'm struggling to make time for.

Still, I love Fertilizer Friday and decided that I'm allowed to run a week behind until life calms down.  To that end, I took pictures last week (which I intended to post last week) that I'm sharing this week. 

It is pouring rain today and I can't do yard work (darn!) and pictures taken today won't be particularly good, so having pictures from last week is just perfect.

My Asiatic lilies are blooming...


Our littlest apple tree as tons of fruit.  (Superman, this is the one by the back fence...go figure!)



My broccoli formed florets too soon and so their tiny. Does anyone know why they're doing this?

Our tomatoes are doing really well.  The one we wintered is already producing fruit...and the ones we started as seeds are thriving.

Finally, our squash plants are going crazy and our lettuce is loving life.  Growing plants from seeds I've sown has been so rewarding.  Yes, I'm still making mistakes, but I'm just so gratified to have the success I've had.  We've already harvested a zucchini and it wasn't even July.  We've got an orange-sized pumpkin on the vine already and more zucchini on their way.  It is so weird (but good).

So, there you have it!  Our Fertilizer Friday contribution.  The Nagle5 have been working hard to make our gardens grow this year and we're having fun doing it.  And really, isn't that what it is all about?

Head over to Tootsie's to see what everyone else is sharing this week.  You'll be amazed.  Me?  Oh, I'm enjoying the rain...it came just in time and now I don't have to feel guilty for not wanting to mow the lawns!  Yippee!

5 comments:

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

I love that beautiful pink lily!!! Looks like you've got a lot on your plate these days...keep up the good work...everything is looking great!!!

More Than Words said...

Oh wow! Everything looks great, Erin!!! You're a great gardener!

Anonymous said...

Now you can make salad. Our cucumbers are doing great, which is making me and some guinea pigs really happy. Yup, guinea pigs. That's what we planted them for. The tomatoes are plentiful, just not very big and now I am thinking this variety just doesn't get big. So much for fried green tomatoes, because they aren't really big enough to fry, but I am making do. LOL The pepper aren't doing anything yet, which isn't making me very happy, but the lettuce is doing fine, about done all its going to do here I suspect. It's only 3' x 4' sand box so I got a lot out of it for the first year already. But hey, we're saving money on guinea pig food and I have tomatoes whenever I want. What more can a southern girl ask for?

Beth said...

Erin, Your lily is gorgeous! I don't know about the broccoli - I have never raised it before, although I'm trying this year. The rabbits have been eating it, though.

Clark said...

Everything really looks great! It looks like you have really got everything under control. I am amazed by the apple tree on the back fence. It looks like if we can keep Lucy from eating apples, we will have a good crop.