Monday, April 27, 2009

I tweaked this recipe just a bit....


Yesterday I told you about this recipe from Rah Cha Chow in this post. I made them at the last minute for Game Night and had no cookies left! I decided to make them again, but to play with them a bit. The Easy Sugar Cookies are really good just the way they are, but I think I tweaked them just enough that they are a tiny bit better, if that is possible.

This is what I did: Instead of 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour called for in the original recipe, I divided it between all-purpose and whole wheat to make them a little more wholesome. I also added flax to pretend that cookies can be healthy and a little bit of cinnamon for a secret something. The preparation method was exactly the same. Superman said they were better (I didn't tell him about the flax. That will be our secret, okay?)

Erin's Version of Easy Sugar Cookies
adapted from Rah Cha Chow's recipe.

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon cold milled flax
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon [I guessed...I just sprinkled cinnamon in the flour mixture.]
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract [I always use more than called for.]

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). In a small bowl, stir together flour, flax, cinnamon, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla. In two batches, blend in the dry ingredients. Just keep mixing...it will eventually turn into dough.

Bake 11-13 minutes in the preheated oven. I pulled mine out at 11:00 minutes because I like a chewy cookie...a little longer gives you a crisp cookie.

What do you think? Will Tracy's son over at Rah Cha Chow forgive me for messing with his recipe? Mrs. R happened to be over while I was pulling them out of the oven this afternoon and she was surprised at how much she liked them. She was even more surprised when I informed her they were half whole wheat and that I'd added flax. They seem so plain, but they are so good. No matter which version you make, you'll be happy you mad them.

6 comments:

Clark said...

Okay, I automatically assume that you insert flax or some other good for you stuff in our treats. You wouldn't be you if you weren't trying to make it a little bit healthy.

Bobbi Jo Nichols said...

Those look super yummy! Thank you for sharing. Hugs, Bobbi Jo

Erin said...

Glad to know you've gotten to the point you expect it.

Bobbi Jo, they're awesome either way you make them.

Pilar said...

You are bold, I am always afraid of changing recipes, afraid that I will mess it up. Yours look great though, you may want to suggest Rah Cha Chow to make that change to the recipe hehehe :)
You have a great day!

Laura said...

Oh, thanks for sharing this recipe! It sounds delicious. I've copied it down and will be trying them out this week!!

Erin said...

You are very welcome...Pilar, once you've messed up enough recipes, you get brave...think about it, the kids are still alive, so I must be doing something right! ;)

Laura, let me know how you like it!