Thursday, July 26, 2012

A Trip to the Dump and some Broccoli Beef

My Valiant has been desperately trying to share a cold/flu with me since Sunday.  I'm doing my level best to graciously decline his generosity.   So far, so good, but it has been touch and go for these past few days.  No Crossfit workouts, that is for sure.  Still, I haven't been idle. 

Monday, I signed Buttercup up for gymnastics...the studio makes you sign up in July for classes that begin after Labor Day.  Weird, isn't it?  Valiant felt cruddy enough that he actually spent the day in bed...that is pretty sick, for a 16-year old! 

Tuesday, I headed out with Buttercup (again!) to have our third consultation with orthodontists, trying to make our final pick for her braces.  We didn't go with the one we met with that morning, but it did cement our decision.  She's thrilled to be moving forward and getting her braces on August 6.  She's been waiting and waiting.  (Completely different than my boys were, that's for certain.)

Today?  Today I finally decided to tackle a pile of yard and garage debris that needed to get taken to the dump.  Unlike our home in California, the trash service here doesn't pick up whatever you've left at the curb.  Until I moved here, I'd never been to the dump.  I wonder if that is unusual?  Have you been to the dump?  So, anyway, here you don't just put out whatever you want and have it taken away on trash day.  No...you either have to have your trash neatly bagged up (how do you do that with scrap wood?) or take it yourself.  So, I procrastinated...I procrastinated so long that we had 440 pounds of stuff loaded up in the back of my Suburban...$22 worth.  I must say, it felt good to get all that stuff out of the yard!  What?!  You thought I'd take pictures?  Seriously? of the dump?  Um, trust me, you don't want pictures of the dump.  Still, you can read about it here...we have a waste-to-energy plant, which I think is kind of cool.

After I got back, I did more yard clean-up and made Broccoli Beef for dinner.  Seriously, if you like Broccoli Beef at your favorite Chinese food restaurant, you need to try this recipe.  It is so easy!


Broccoli Beef
from "Quick & Easy Enjoy Chinese Cuisine"

1/2 pound flank steak, sliced thin, against the grain
2 teaspoons corn starch (can subsitute arrowroot powder for paleo cooking)
2 teaspoons soy sauce (can substitute coconut aminos for paleo cooking)
1/2 teaspoon sugar (can omit for paleo cooking)
1 1/2 pounds broccoli florets
2 Tablespoons oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup of soup broth (I used beef)
Some cornstarch for thickening (can substitute arrowroot powder for paleo cooking)

1.  Place thin-sliced flank steak in bowl with 2 teaspoons cornstarch, 2 teaspoons soy sauce, and 1/2 teaspoon sugar.  Toss and set aside for a few minutes.

2.  Heat oil in pan, add meat mixture and cook until done.  Remove from pan and set aside.


3.  In hot pan, add broccoli, salt, and soup broth.  Cover and bring to a boil, cooking for 2-3 minutes.


4.  Add meat back into pan and toss.  Add cornstarch to thicken if desired.  Serve over rice or eat as is.

That is it!  Isn't that easy?  This cookbook is amazing because it is so simple.  If you are at all interested in cooking Chinese food, this book is so simple and the results are so fabulous, I encourage you to try it.

Yet another productive day as we work our way closer to Superman's return home!  97 days and counting!!  Did you know that we're five week from Labor Day (already!)?  Time sure flies.   I feel good about getting things done...how are you doing with your goals?

No comments: