Friday, January 2, 2009

A Case of Pepsi and a New Broad Knife...


Well, while most people go out and do exciting things to celebrate their anniversary, Superman and I decided it would be much more fun to have me watch him try to fix our furnace with the aid of Mr. R. (our friend and next-door neighbor). The weather outside was, in fact, frightful, so we really needed a furnace. Since Superman is a handy and Mr. R has a "b****in set of tools" (completely gratuitous Fast Times at Ridgemont High reference), they made it their mission on Tuesday to fix our furnace. They somehow located the part they needed in Spokane (yippee!); they also discovered that the reason we have so many problems with our furnace is that it is a mobile home furnace, NOT a furnace for a house the size of ours. (Obviously, a dilemma for another day!) After many mishaps and too much time spent on treacherous roads, they got the furnace fixed at 9 p.m. on the 30th; a mere 24 hours after we had discovered it was no longer working. Phew! (I think Mr. R felt a strong sense of urgency because he didn't want all five of us descending like a Mongol hoard.) My heroes...truly. (Mrs. R was pretty cool, too, because this meant she didn't have the services of Mr. R for the entire day!)

But, how to thank the friend and neighbor? Superman had already hooked Mr. R up with some Korean food, but I'd done nothing but stay out of the way. Then I had it! Mr. R likes Pepsi like no one you've ever seen. One trip to Costco later, and I was able to deliver a case of Pepsi to Mr. R in time for his New Year's Eve revelry! A case of Pepsi and some daegi bulgogi...what could be better?

(I also had to deliver a 10-inch broad knife to replace the one he sacrificed because it needed to be cut up for the metal which was then welded somehow to create a new part that they couldn't get. Don't you just love men who can fix things?)

So, thanks again for helping keep us warm this winter! You rock!

6 comments:

Clark said...

Well, from my perspective the repair mission was an absolute disaster! I am glad that we had enough ingenuity to get the furnace fixed and the house back up to temperature. Thank you my love for being so understanding about our anniversary!!!!

Unknown said...

I'm not sure I could have sacrificed my knife, it was an anniversary gift from Fig. I guess if it meant not freezing to death then maybe, You know: "I got my love to keep me warm".

Erin said...

You got a broad knife as an anniversary gift? You know they are the kind used to smooth wallboard compound, right? You are way handy if that was your anniversary gift. I bow before you...

Clark said...

Kate! You do mud? Well, you need to come on out and help me finish my drywall. I can only imagine if I tried to give my darling wife such a touching and thoughtful gift!

Unknown said...

OOPs nope sorry Just goes to show you how lacking in knowledge I am, I thought it was one of the flat spreader knives used to frost cakes and the like. But hey i'm willing to try the mud thing. I'm always game to get my hands dirty.

Unknown said...

I do love my spreader, though, and did help with the dry wall in the old house.