Saturday, January 10, 2009

Banana Crumb Muffins


We eat a lot of bananas at our house. Not only are they inexpensive, but they are really good for you. Invariably, however, we have a few bananas left from each bunch that go beyond perfect ripeness to over-ripened and then no one will eat them. As a result, I am always looking for good recipes using bananas. I made this recipe for the first time before Christmas and, frankly, the results were horrible. I decided the problem must have been with the fact that I used frozen bananas, thawed, and that something weird must happen to them when you do that. (If anyone knows, please let me know!) Anyway, the recipe looked so wonderful that I had to try it again and I am so glad I did.

This recipe comes from Amy at the Mother Load and you can find it here. But, of course, I wrote it up for you...I just think it is easier that way!

Banana Crumb Muffins

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
1/2 t salt

3 bananas, mashed
3/4 cups white sugar* (we weren't paying attention and actually used 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup white sugar...it turned out fine!)
1 eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 cup butter, melted

Crumb Topping:
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/8 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 t ground cinnamon
1 T butter

Preheat oven to 375. Lightly grease ten muffin cups or line with muffin papers. (I got eleven muffins out of mine.)

In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, egg and melted butter. Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. (My helpful tip here is to use ice cream scoop or a #20 scoop from a restaurant supply to fill your muffin tins...it makes it so much easier to get uniform muffins or cupcakes!)

In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Cut the butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle topping over muffins.

Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of muffins comes out clean.

Look at that crackled, crumb topping. It is so good. These muffins were terrific, so obviously the problem last time was the banana. I will definitely be making these again. They've received a universal thumbs-up.

So, there you have it...incredibly moist, yummy Banana Crumb Muffins. The Crumb Topping can be used on all kinds of muffins, so don't lose that recipe. Plus, it can be stored in the freezer if you don't use it all up.

1 comment:

Clark said...

munch..munch...munch...gulp...really good...trust me!