Friday, September 10, 2010

Not-so-Green Smoothie

Have you ever heard of Green Smoothies?  I heard about them by reading The Lazy Organizer's blog.  She was really inspired by them and her success with incorporating them into her family's lifestyle.  They are so popular, there is even a blogger called Green Smoothie Girl who has written a book and has quite a following.  While I'm not going vegetarian anytime soon (I just haven't gotten there), I'm definitely learning to eat fewer and fewer processed foods and trying to get us all to eat more and more vegetables and fruits. 


My point is that I'm not particularly hard-core, but I'm always willing to learn new things.  Combine GreenSmoothieGirl with a few demonstrations of the Vitamix and the Blendtec at our local Costco and you have the inspiration for the increased usage my blender is getting quite the workout.  It sounds so weird, but I've stepped up from just fruits and started incorporating leaf spinach into my smoothies. 

They look really weird/gross, but the kids think they're fabulous.  Also, if I can't make things the kids and I will eat and enjoy, I certainly can't justify buying a better blender.

This smoothie?  1 1/2 cups of fresh baby spinach, one frozen banana, one cup of frozen strawberries, and three little apples from our tree, all combined with some ice and some water and blended with my cheap-o Oster blender from Walmart.

So, I'm here to tell you, you can't judge a smoothie by its color!  Be brave and try something crazy...it might turn out really well, just like my "not-so-green smoothie".

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

I used to drink a smoothly like this almost every day and I have gotten away from it. Thanks for the great reminder!

Andi said...

Okay - this makes me want to hurl... sorry! I'm anti-banana & mixing it with spinach? ACK! Plus, I'm sure I have changed diapers that color! I think it is output, not input :)