Friday, September 23, 2016

Where all our money goes...

When our kids were little, the majority of our money seemed to go to Target.  I seriously loved Target.  Clothing, toiletries, shoes, toys, electronics, cleaning supplies, garden, holiday décor--even our live Christmas trees  came from Target (when we lived in California)--and our artificial tree we picked up at the 75% off post-Christmas sale, which I used to love.  Honestly, pretty much everything we wanted could be found a Target.  It was convenient, it was inexpensive, and it was cute enough.  I have never been a fan of their grocery store side...they don't stock anything I use, so it has never been an added attraction for me.   (Hey, I'm not proud, I'm just being honest here.)


Not my favorite store anymore...



As I was breaking down boxes for our recycle bin, it occurred to me that I spend almost no money at Target any more.  Seriously.  Almost nothing.  Three grown children plus the convenience of online shopping has changed entirely how I shop.  Now, these boxes, plus a regular Costco run,  are pretty representative of where our money goes these days.


These are my go-to "stores", these days...

Amazon.com:  For just about anything and everything...Amazon gets most of my non-food shopping dollars...what can't you find of Amazon?  Plus, Prime give us terrific television.  So, free shipping plus great television programming?  It's a win-win in our house.  (Also, did you know if you order via Prime, they'll even ship to an APO/FPO for free?  Pretty cool, right??  We learned that last time Superman was overseas and utilized that feature a lot during his last adventure.)

Fabric.com:  For fabric, when I don't find what I want at JoAnn's--my beloved Hancock Fabric's went bankrupt.    I know lots of people love Hobby Lobby, but I find it overwhelming and their fabric selection is pretty slim.  (Oh, and I'm also a huge fan of Spoonflower.com for unique fabric, too...I spread my fabric love!)

Isagenix:  Yes, I admit it...I even feed my family via online shopping: we get our nutrition shakes via the UPS man, too!  We had to stock up  for Superman to be able to take a five months supply with him, so we had a LOT of these boxes coming through our door this summer.  (Seriously, do the math:  2 shakes a day x five months = a LOT!) 

Don't get me wrong. I still shop at brick and mortar stores:  Bras need to be tried on at VS, candles need to smelled in person at Yankee Candle, and I'm all in for a quick trip to TJ Maxx in search of some treasure for the house or a Home Depot run to further progress on some project, but I almost never think of going to Target.  It's not just because I'm old, either.  My teenaged daughter doesn't shop at Target much any more, either.  I guess Target didn't grow up with my family...maybe they're still the go to destination for young families?  Do people still love Target?


Same home, same family, but completely different shopping patterns.  Now you know just how random I can be.  This is the stuff that pops into my mind. What about you?  Does your heart still beat a little faster as you approach the doors to your local Target?  Or are you, too, keeping your local UPS driver busy? 



No comments: