Sunday, December 21, 2008

Sisters truly are forever...


Did you know I have a sister? I'll bet not many of you do. Well, I do...she was born the summer before I turned 7 and shortly thereafter moved to New York, where she lived until she was an adult. I think we've actually seen each other fewer than ten times in our entire lives...and I'm 45! Through all the years, though, I have always been aware I have a little sister. I'd read tales of the closeness of sisters and wonder. I'd see knick knacks with sister sayings and I'd wonder. I hear of her from shared cousins and I'd wonder. And I always wondered, "Does she wonder, too?"

In the meantime, life has gone on and we've created lives for ourselves. We were raised by women who were polar opposites and taught to value very different things. At first blush, our lives are quite dissimilar: She was raised on the East Coast and I was raised on the West Coast. She's married with no children and is well-traveled. I am married with three children and haven't gone much of anywhere. She's athletic, well-educated, well-read, and has a modern, edgy side. I'm not so well-educated, not so athletic, and not so modern. She's dark (she's half Greek, with sparkling brown eyes and lush dark brown hair) and I'm blonde (I have brown eyes, but not like hers!)...and so the list could go on. We could find so many ways we're different, but...

We also discovered that digging a little deeper uncovers the ways we're far more alike than people would realize. We're almost exactly the same height and bemoan getting pants long enough! We've discussed the trials and tribulations of being close to 6 feet tall by the time we hit high-school. We're both loud, opinionated, loyal, and curious. We even subscribe to many of the same blogs. We've laughed as pictures reveal that we've decorated with the exact same pieces of furniture, that we've selected the same colors to surround ourselves with, that we both cook and sew, and scrap and, finally, we've both married men who provide us with security and stability we so desperately need. The more we talk, the more we realize, we really are sisters...

...and yes, it is magical.

No comments: